Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lumia project

Default Lumia project

I finally got off my butt this weekend and built a little three wheel lumia table.
    I got a couple wheels from DSLIjon and another older wheel from years ago and mounted them on some .4 rpm geared motors. the motors came from old heart monitor chart recorders.
    I still need to do the wiring and figure out how to do the controller,speed and how to reverse the voltage to drive the motors backwards and forwards.
    Then I need to figure out the optical setup so I can change the beam colors going to each wheel.
    Its going to be used with my argon/He-Ne setup so the color selection should be a challenge.
    Im thinking 50/50 beam splitters for the two beam splits to the first two wheels and using dichro flags or building a dichro wheel to drop in and out of the beam just in front of the wheels to change the colors.
    Anyway. thoughts? ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	26586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	26587
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Looking good

DMX control or toggle switched? Dichro flags sounds like the best option.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Nate,

You are not allowed to post photos of lumia rigs and not show the output! Get with the program, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    I finally got off my butt this weekend and built a little three wheel lumia table.
    I got a couple wheels from DSLIjon and another older wheel from years ago and mounted them on some .4 rpm geared motors. the motors came from old heart monitor chart recorders.
    I still need to do the wiring and figure out how to do the controller,speed and how to reverse the voltage to drive the motors backwards and forwards.
    Then I need to figure out the optical setup so I can change the beam colors going to each wheel.
    Its going to be used with my argon/He-Ne setup so the color selection should be a challenge.
    Im thinking 50/50 beam splitters for the two beam splits to the first two wheels and using dichro flags or building a dichro wheel to drop in and out of the beam just in front of the wheels to change the colors.
    Anyway. thoughts? ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	26586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	26587
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Nate,

You are not allowed to post photos of lumia rigs and not show the output! Get with the program, man.
    Hehe... My thoughts exactly
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Default pics of the rig in action

OK so i threw it in front of the whitelight rig & powered it up,aimed,adjusted,applied power & came up with something like this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	26598 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	26599 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	26600

and also a quick N dirty demo of what Im sorta aiming for...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXX34lTIQk.

I need to build a controller rig for the individual wheel motors, galvos and shutters.
    Thats next weekends project...

Cool! I got some rod lenses and prizms gonna rotate around on a wheel and put on a helluva lumina show! (along with aluminum foil and fresnel lenses too .. ) You think I'm kidding ? .. Just wait ..

Aluminum foil? how would it work for lumia effects? =)
    Im going to try my hand at making some of the *torture tubes* this week with some old leftover neon glass stock I have.
    Last edited by Vidal Wolf; 08-14-2011 at 21:48.

Hi Vidal Wolf,

Forgive my ignorance but what is/are a "torture tubes" man??Just had to ask cause I have some neon tubes left..

Thanks
    Laserock

For me lumia can become whatever you want to splatter the laser light with. I can see different material working out very nice.

If it can't pass the light, then reflecting the laser off it, may prove to be a bit challenging.

Look into stained glass supply's. I have used many of the wife's scrap glass plates as lumia wheels with killer results. The even have some glass that is coated with a dielectric and will do some cool stuff with lasers.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

a torture tube makes lumia from a rotating cylinder instead of a disk.

the effect looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Laserock View Post
    Hi Vidal Wolf,

Forgive my ignorance but what is/are a "torture tubes" man??Just had to ask cause I have some neon tubes left..

Thanks
    Laserock
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.