Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RGB Laser group buy

I called dreambeamz earlier today to talk about some other stuff, and I asked him about this... He confirms that his DAC (X-29) only supports TTL blanking, but the F2000 units are supposed to have analog blanking. Sorry for the mixup.

Adam

i wired the money for 3 units on monday. however, i got a call at work today from buffo and he said someone said they wanted one or two. So I dropped an email to the supplier and they said disapointingly they they have not shipped the units yet. so i will PM this person with my number. If you want them I would need money tomarrow or you could wait until my next order.

anyhow, price is $1400 + $75 shipping

also, yes to clear up confusion, full auto only supports ttl modulation but the lasers support analog. Even with ttl, the lasers do make a real white, a real teal, and real yellow, etc etc

It seems that the color balance we have been chasing is somewhat not that important. I have one of the red lasers like the one's in the unit here somewhere and it did perform TTL and analog. It was slated for a combined red/green unit for a yellow balance. May have to dig out parts and get it put together soon....second RGY laser set. Do you have any info on the 473nm unit that comes in these guys? Divergence and actual power...no I/R?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

hey guys...
    new here and came across this laser and this forum. seems excellent.
    i own a laser light show company and im REALLY confused about the price on this. $1600 (give or take) seems VERY cheap for almost half a watt of full color output.

am i missing something here? is there a catch? is this unit legit? performs ok?

sorry for being so inquisitive, i just cant seem to grasp the price on it. it SEEMS very nice and seem slike an excellent unit.

i would LOVE to purchase quite a few actually. but at least starting with one. what do you guys think?? i tried finding the actual manufactuer and website but all i seem to get is some "alibaba" trading thing. is this "group buy" still active here??

a little info and reviews would help me a little. i have read all the posts so far and like i said, all seems VERY legit and excellent. guess im just a little nervous.

any comments would be greatly appreciate.
    looking forward to hearing from some of you...

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers
    hey guys...
    new here and came across this laser and this forum. seems excellent.
    i own a laser light show company and im REALLY confused about the price on this. $1600 (give or take) seems VERY cheap for almost half a watt of full color output.

am i missing something here? is there a catch? is this unit legit? performs ok?

sorry for being so inquisitive, i just cant seem to grasp the price on it. it SEEMS very nice and seem slike an excellent unit.

i would LOVE to purchase quite a few actually. but at least starting with one. what do you guys think?? i tried finding the actual manufactuer and website but all i seem to get is some "alibaba" trading thing. is this "group buy" still active here??

a little info and reviews would help me a little. i have read all the posts so far and like i said, all seems VERY legit and excellent. guess im just a little nervous.

any comments would be greatly appreciate.
    looking forward to hearing from some of you...
    You get what you pay

The lasers only have TTL ( maybe anlog) but not the software, and they dont do blanking faster than 10kHz ..
    And the blue is 55mW (i think?)

So it`s not a BAD ASS laserprojector to use outdoors

But it`s SURE is a nice indoor-small-room laser
    And the price cant get better than this !

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not the guy that is importing these lasers, but I have seen one in operation (up close and personal), so I can give you a little background on them.

They are made in China, though I don't know where or by which company. The lasers inside do NOT have IR filters, which means that they actually output significant IR power in addition to the rated optical powers listed above.

And before you ask, yes - the *optical* power quoted above has been verified. 8) Dream Beamz put an IR filter in front of his Lasercheck and then tested each laser individually to be sure that each one was putting out the rated power. So you really are getting a full 400mw of visible light output. (Note that if you include the IR output of the projector, the thing is actually outputting nearly a watt and a half of total energy - but who cares about IR, except from a safety standpoint, right?)

The scanners can do 15Kpps with no problem. You can push them to around 18Kpps or so before you start to see tails and other artifacts. They are closed-loop galvos that look very much like a set of cambridge 6800's. (They are in fact clones of the Cambridge design.) The galvos are mounted on a sturdy metal X/Y mount with a large heat sink.

The unit contains a DPSS green laser, a DPSS blue laser, and two direct-injection diode lasers at ~650 nm. (The two reds are combined using a polarizing beam-spliter cube) The different color beams are combined using dichros. All lasers support analog blanking up to 20 KHz. (Though if you use the X-29 or Alphalite DAC, you'll only get TTL color, because that's all they support. Pangolin and Easylase USB owners will get full analog color.)

The input connector to the projector is quite unique. It uses an 8-pin RJ-45 jack. (Basically an Ethernet cable connector.) You will need to build an adapter cable to connect it to your ilda-standard 25-pin port on your DAC. (The adapter cable is easy to assemble; you can find all the parts you need at Radio Shack.)

The performance of the unit is amazing, especially considering the price. I've seen the unit running at 18Kpps in a lighted room during the day, and the graphics on the wall were *very* bright. I have not had a chance to view a decent beamshow from one of these units yet, because I had to leave before it got dark, and Dream Beamz didn't have his fog machine at the house. (There are videos posted above of beamshows done with this projector, however.)

Also, as mentioned before, the color balance on this projector is very good. Have a look at some of the pictures and video that Dream Beamz has posted and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Now, there are some things that this projector won't do. It won't do 24kpps graphics. (To say nothing of 30kpps or better.) And it can get messy if you push it to 18kpps. Also, if you have a really long piece of ethernet cable on your adapter cable, you can pick up noise which will affect the clarity of your scanned image. So you need to make your adapter cable short.

I have a set of Dragon Tiger DT-40 galvos that I tested side-by-side with the galvos in this projector, and I was able to push my galvos to scan about 10% wider than this projector does. However, I should also point out that my scanners were SCREAMING when I did this, and I would normally never run them like that. When I had my gain set to where it normally is, this projector was actually scanning wider than my unit. (By about 15%)

Finally, the dichros can be knocked out of alignment if you bash the projector around. Dream Beams had to re-align his when it was first delivered, though he hasn't had any problems since then. (But the way most shipping companies throw things around, that's not surprising...)

For the money, I don't think you can beat these things. Honestly, if I had the money I'd buy TWO of them right now. But, alas, I *dont* have the money, and probably won't for a while. (Wife got laid off 2 weeks ago :evil: - damnit!) But after I played with one for about an hour, I was hooked.

Adam

buffo...

thank you VERY MUCH for the welcome and the detailed review!! it seems as if you guys really know your sh*t here!! makes me feel a little more comfortable with this unit.

i guess im a pessimist when it comes to something like this. $1600 just seemed WAAAY too good to be true, but i guess its well worth it. to be honest, i would probably only use this unit for beam shows. or installation (after modifications to make them CDRH compliant) into small/medium nightclubs.

i own a 3 WATT yag which im very happy with. but obviously everyone wants MORE COLOR!! and this seems to be a pretty damn good deal until i am ready to invest in higher powered and faster scanning full color systems.

for a beam show, this unit seems to perform quite well. i cant foresee doing too much graphics projection with this, so im not too worried about the slower scanning/blanking.

i am a little newer to the full color realm. especially solid state. it seems like i would be able to ask some questions here if i had a problem with that alignment of the dichros? the warm welcome and technical know how of some of you makes me feel a little more comfortable.

ok, the important question...HOW DO I BUY ONE????

i saw one on e-bay, but i would feel a little more comfortable purchasing either from one of you, or from the actual manufacturer. any ideas?

thanks again for your help and your insight!
    -Marc

Probably the best thing to do would be to send a PM to "Dream Beamz" (note the space) and see if you can get him on the phone to talk about it.

We do have some very smart people here (though honestly I'm not one of them - I'm more of a beginner), and we all try to help eachother.

Dichro adjustment is fairly straightforward; there are a few posts here that talk about it. Rest assured someone can walk you through it.

Adam

i sent him a PM. as of yet, i have not heard back from him. is he good at returning messages?

again, thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow
    The lasers only have TTL ( maybe anlog) but not the software, and they dont do blanking faster than 10kHz
    Hey Liteglow;

Actually, that's not correct. I had originally posted the information about the TTL blanking, but that was because Dream Beams only uses the X-29 hardware to drive his laser shows, and the X-29 DAC only supports TTL blanking. (The Alphalite controller that I use has the same limitation.)

But the lasers inside the F2000 projector support ANALOG blanking all the way up to 20KHz. So if you have a pangolin board, or the EasyLase USB DAC, you can get true analog color. The limiting factor is which laser controller you own, not the F2000 projector itself.

Note also that the F2000 projector has a built-in DMX controller with some pre-installed patterns. So you can connect it to a DMX lighting controller and cycle through the patterns that it has built-in, even if you don't have a laser show controller. You can also set it up to react to music, and it will work in audio-response mode without ANY other hardware connected. (But you would be limited to the pre-installed patterns.)

If you want to do graphics or custom beams, you need to connect it to a DAC and use your laser show software to run it. (Note that you'll also need to assemble an adapter cable to go from the RJ-45 jack to the 25-pin ILDA connector on your DAC...)
    And the blue is 55mW (i think?)
    Yeah, either 55 mw or 60 mw... Something like that. So you're right, it won't be anywhere near enough blue power for an outdoor show. In fact, even for an indoor show, if you're planning on a beam show you're going to need lots of fog, or better yet a hazer, to make those blue beams visible.
    But it`s SURE is a nice indoor-small-room laser
    And the price cant get better than this !
    I agree completely... Just wish money wasn't quite so tight right now. I'd love to have one of these things! (Especially after Dream Beams let me play with his for about an hour when I went to visit him about 2 weeks ago...) It's so much nicer than my monochrome Alphalite rig...

gottaluvlasers:

Re: getting in touch with Dream Beamz.... He's pretty busy during the week. He's got a partner that he works with to do laser shows, but he's also got a demanding day job, so he doesn't always get time to check in here. He's often available on weekends though. Give him a couple days and I'm sure he'll be in touch.

Adam