Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RGB Laser group buy

Default tested my F2000+

I'm back form Burning Man and have finally had time to mess with the F2000+ I got from DreamBeamz.

The Good:
    - output power >/= spec (80mW blue!, 60mW green, 270mW red)
    - once cleaned and aligned, it's nice and bright and has good color balance
    - nice price

The Bad:
    - Blue laser is multimode with 2 distinct beams
    - no IR filters on blue and green lasers
    - RJ-45 connector for external input has no ground for X,Y inputs
    - 15KPPS Cambridge clone scanners are kind of sloppy. (I am spoiled by my 6215 scanners)
    - built-in controller does not make very interesting shows. I still need to mess with DMX control to see if I can make it do more interesting stuff. Failing that I may replace it with a Pangolin Flashback or some other standalone DAC.

The Ugly:
    - TTL modulation only - not analog This is only an issue for those of use with DACs that support it (i.e. Pangolin)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. It will be interesting to compare with my $10K 1W RGB projector when I get a chance. I'm kind of unhappy about the ttl modulation, but I will have to wait until I can run them both in a large, dark, foggy venue to see how much that matters.

Junktronics;

TTL modulation only??? Something is wrong. The spec sheet I looked at specifically listed analog modulation to 20 khz. I couldn't verify it because Dreambeamz only uses X-29 hardware, which is TTL only.

Have you called George (Dreambeamz) about it?

Damn - that really sucks. Especially since your blue is multi-mode as well. Sounds like you got a bad unit.

As for the RJ-45 connector - yeah... They use a single ground for EVERYTHING, including the X and Y inputs to the scanners. It's not an ideal solution at all. George was thinking about cutting a hole in the back of the case and mounting a 25-pin connector and re-wiring the internals to it, but decided that it wasn't worth the effort since the scanners are only 15K anyway. (But if I bought one of these things, I'd stick some faster galvos in there and then for sure I'd want the full ilda connector on the back...)

George did mention (above) that the DPSS lasers are missing the IR filters. And I agree that there's no justification for it. Sigh... Are you going to install individual filters on each laser or just mount a single one in the beam path before the scanners?

Re: Burning Man... How'd it go? (Pictures?)

Adam

I didn't trust the 8 pin connector on the back since it didn't have a ground for the X and Y signals so I wired my ILDA connector directly to the scanner driver and the 3 laser modulation wires. I ran the Pangolin pallate wizard and could only get the colors to be on or off - i.e. ttl modulation. I emailed George, but haven't heard back. I know he keeps really busy. I guess I'll call him this evening.

I have IR filters here and installed one on each laser shortly after setting it up.

Burning Man was lots of fun as usual. I stopped carrying a camera there years ago, but a semi-pro photographer friend got some excellent pictures:

http://www.theblight.net/gallery/bm/06/

I know the guys that run the flame vortex (that's liquid propane by the gallon squirting out of the nozzles)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/espress...7594273043413/

I have no association with this, but it's pretty good and if you look about half way through the 8.30 video you'll see me and my girlfriend on our bikes

http://www.currenttv.com/burningman/

Default f2000+

Dream:

If you have any more, I'd love to talk with you about grabbing one

Also, after the tax man cometh, I'm going to most likely buy 4 of them myself, I'll contact the group for another group buy if I do.

Has anyone installed better galvos or replaced any of the lasers, etc yet?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz
    i wired the money for 3 units on monday. however, i got a call at work today from buffo and he said someone said they wanted one or two. So I dropped an email to the supplier and they said disapointingly they they have not shipped the units yet. so i will PM this person with my number. If you want them I would need money tomarrow or you could wait until my next order.

anyhow, price is $1400 + $75 shipping

also, yes to clear up confusion, full auto only supports ttl modulation but the lasers support analog. Even with ttl, the lasers do make a real white, a real teal, and real yellow, etc etc

For those interested. I found this website with F2008 specs and brochure for download.

http://asymptech.com/Asymptech_products_F2008.html

How does this differ from the F2000 that some of you have purchased? I ask because there seems to be a discrepancy between printed and actual product specs.

F2000 manual download here:

http://asymptech.com/store/index.php...d&productId=30

Thanks.

Greg

sorry for my long time away.

I have gotten a pangolin system since Junktronix report and am sad to announce that these only carry TTL modulation, even then, the color balance is amaizing.

To the few PMs I have gotten, I have gotten way too busy with work to worry about doing any favors, sorry guys but if yall knew how busy I get then you would understand.

The three people that bought them from me in the last buy can attest, it took me an extremely long time to ship out even after they arrived at my house.

If people are still interested in getting this exact unit please check the following ebay auction. I can NOT attest to dealing with this seller since I have never bought from him but it appears he does volume so his interaction will be less personal. Also when it gets shipped to you from china you will have to open it up and realign it to get color mixing, and this is hard if you are not knowledgable in the chinese manufacture

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260041431399

To his credit, George @ Dream Beamz offered to buy my F2000+ back after I found out that it is ttl only. I'm keepng it Stull haven't been able to compare it and my big analog RGB projector, but I'm sure it will be impressive give that it cost 1/6 as much. And I just got a Full Auto system to runit with

Kevin