Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: My first gig

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Hehe... Maybe we could ask Admin to start up another sub-forum for us Digeridoo players

    I don't know what it is about the Didj. I got introduced to it around ten years ago, having heard this person play I was hooked. I bought a 'split wood' didj from him and set about mastering the art of circular breathing. It probably took me about a month to really get the hang of it and be able to produce a steady drone. I soon wanted more and I ordered a genuine aussie 'termite holowed' Didj from the Didjshop.com The difference this made was amazing, the resonance was much more defined. Wind the clock on a couple of years and I ordered a smaller 'traveller' Didj. This has been with me all over. I've played it on top of moors and mountains, down potholes and in caves, tops of cliffs and in the middle of cities. It's always a talking point and is great fun. Best thing is though it is soooo relaxing... Some weird thing about being connected to the earth at a most fundemental level.

    Incidentally, love the Rolf clip
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hehe... Maybe we could ask Admin to start up another sub-forum for us Digeridoo players

    I don't know what it is about the Didj. I got introduced to it around ten years ago, having heard this person play I was hooked. I bought a 'split wood' didj from him and set about mastering the art of circular breathing. It probably took me about a month to really get the hang of it and be able to produce a steady drone. I soon wanted more and I ordered a genuine aussie 'termite holowed' Didj from the Didjshop.com The difference this made was amazing, the resonance was much more defined. Wind the clock on a couple of years and I ordered a smaller 'traveller' Didj. This has been with me all over. I've played it on top of moors and mountains, down potholes and in caves, tops of cliffs and in the middle of cities. It's always a talking point and is great fun. Best thing is though it is soooo relaxing... Some weird thing about being connected to the earth at a most fundemental level.

    Incidentally, love the Rolf clip
    If you ever come Down Under (tm) I have to take you to Broome...

    Broome is in Western Australia, located off the coast but connected to the main land with a peninsular separating Broome from the main land.

    On the full moon, the moon rises over eastern Australia and viewed from the shores of Broome (at Town beach) the moon appears over the water as the huge (4-6M) tide is going out. The effect is awesome, they call it "Stairway to Heaven". Anyways, from the beer garden of the Mangrove Hotel is the best place to view it. They always make a big event of it, with concert PA ans stage. Exactly as the moon first appears a Didg player arcs up, it always sends shivers down my spine...

    Broome is pretty close to were I live, just 2,237 km (1390 miles) North. We can fly there in a few hours.
    This space for rent.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Sounds great, reminds me of the sunset parties in Key West or the full moon parties in Thailand.

    Oz is definately on my 'to do' list, as is NZ. We have some friends in NZ that we keep threatening to visit. I've sort of promised that we'll make it down there in the next five years, so you never know I could be knocking on your door

    Take care and 'keep didjin'
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    I am always up for a break, so my offer is serious, if you come, we will go. Assuming I am in Aus, I visit China 6 times a year, Germany/India once a year, the other side of Aus 2-3 times a year also. Lots of travel.
    This space for rent.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Tides like this

    100_2581.JPG
    100_2579.JPG

    Had my honeymoon driving from Broom to Darwin. Its was awsome.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    ^^^ Yep! Tides like that, almost.

    Well I did my second gig tonight, the same event as the first gig but different performers. I really liked the "head worn reverb cannon". It was basically a wooden box the size of a helmet fitted with a 1"diamter spring hanging from the front. The spring was used as a reverb tank with a pickup at the head and a transducer in the "cannon ball" hanging at the end of the 6' long spring. Sampler, and effects units mounted in the helmet along with a mouth mic. Pretty wild stuff, he played this standing on a A-frame ladder and each rung of the ladder had an effects pedal gaffed to it. Experimental music lol. When he climbed the ladder I had to lift the laser show so avoid him!!!! As a climax he falls from the very top and you can imaging the noise a reverb spring (especially a 6" long one) makes when it hits the ground!!!

    Here are some pics one of the guys took with his Canon DSLR for your enjoyment.

    IMG_5426.jpgIMG_5428.jpgIMG_5429.jpgIMG_5433.jpgIMG_5458.jpg

    I also used 2 x 300mW 532's as bare lab modules (these are for my future sat builds) in the rear corners of the warehouse, pointing diagonally across the room. I simply switched them on and off as needed. It added a whole new dimension to the show! I only had them on in bursts of a a second or less as needed to match the main projector, looked really cool. I had people asking me if I had used mirrors.
    This space for rent.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Double post!

    Here is a time lapse video of the show taken from behind the performers using a wide angle stills camera. Your lucky there is no sound lol, this is experimental music, I just think of it as mental. Check out the guy at 18 seconds, playing drums on old turntable platters, running through a bunch of effects pedals, it sound like Indonesian music! You can also see the ladder artist with his head worn reverb tank at 35 seconds on top his ladder. Mental, just mental.



    My 2 static 532's can clearly be seen crossing the room at times.
    This space for rent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •