Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just blew 4 diodes!!!

Wow, that's a great explanation Dennis, that should go into a sticky thread!

Thanks!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboy3625 View Post
    Wow, that's a great explanation Dennis, that should go into a sticky thread!

Thanks!
    Jim
    or you should just know basic electronics ~
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    in your 6th picture it looks like your diodes arent in the mounts properly?
    I thought this too, but those diodes don't seem to fit inside. The top of the can presses against the mount. I will do some tinkering today.

OK so I guess I will just order a different PSU and run the diodes in series. Would this be a good PSU for 4lpc826 @ 300mW each http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-15V-5A-Sw...#ht_4000wt_952 Does anyone recommend a better PSU?

I got a few PMs from members looking for LPC-826. I got them from Glenn (scopeguy20) from this thread http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/ne...6-a-61558.html I believe he has some extras so shoot him a PM.
    Last edited by whatsupadrian; 08-24-2011 at 09:30.

um seem strange

should the cans go fully in for good heat sinking and then be bolted in?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Exactly my suspicious. I am going to go home right now and double check because it never looked right to me from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    or you should just know basic electronics ~
    True, but apparently many new players start building multiple diode setups first skipping all the basics. If this info save’s some diodes then I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupadrian View Post
    OK so I guess I will just order a different PSU and run the diodes in series.
    Like I said, putting diodes in series only works if the pins are isolated. Most reds have their cathode pin (-) connected to the case. So if you mount your diodes in a metal block (the correct way), your pins are no longer isolated. Basically what you end up with is this:

/Edit:
    If the diodes are removed from a sled then there could be some glue residue left, maybe this is why it didn't fit.
    Last edited by SrS; 08-24-2011 at 10:20.

OK So I checked out the diode mount can issue. The LOC will not fit inside.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	26773

Johan just sent me a PM, this may be helpful to anyone reading this:
    When mounting the open cans you have to make the hole where the head of the diode is fitting in slighty bigger. The stacking system is suitable for red and blue diodes. When having the hole suitable for open cans the blue diodes won,t fit any more. Thats why i made them suitable for the smaller blue diodes. You have to drill the hole where the diode head fits in with a 4mm drill.
    So the holes need to be drilled and then they will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    True, but apparently many new players start building multiple diode setups first skipping all the basics. If this info save’s some diodes then I’m happy

Like I said, putting diodes in series only works if the pins are isolated. Most reds have their cathode pin (-) connected to the case. So if you mount your diodes in a metal block (the correct way), your pins are no longer isolated. Basically what you end up with is this:

/Edit:
    If the diodes are removed from a sled then there could be some glue residue left, maybe this is why it didn't fit.
    OK, looks like its impossible for me to isolate those case pins in these mounts. So im still stuck on parallel.
    Last edited by whatsupadrian; 08-24-2011 at 10:31.

Let me ask this, which material is not conducting electricity but is transferring heat? Please no super expensive exotic materials...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

use kapton tape.

Quote Originally Posted by hivelaser View Post
    Let me ask this, which material is not conducting electricity but is transferring heat? Please no super expensive exotic materials...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I mean something i can machine but that would work too, so i am able to make a adapter ring or something... I know some ceramics but that's hard to machine...