Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the people?

Question What's with all the people?

We seem to be popular lately; we've pushed the "most ever" # twice this week...

Most users ever online was 1,031, Today at 18:40.

What's going on? The last two major pushes happened with the 405nm handheld and the 445 explosion; anyone know what is happenin now? It can't be SELEM...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I think it's all due to the lazertopia event that Slicklasers was on the flyer for. I mean with 12 x 5mw greenies who wouldnt want to know more about LAZERZZZZZ!

Bwaaa haaa haaa.
    That's a good one there MLS !
    I know over on LPF there has been a bit of a jump in the number of people purchasing entry level projectors. And they all have been proudly showing them off with lots of pics and videos. Maybe a bunch of interest has been generated by their actions and the masses are being sent over here.

I hope they are all safe and legal...

Entry level projector generally = unsafe from what I have seen.

In a way, and I now this sounds selfish, I wish some would stick to pointers.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I hope they are all safe and legal...

Entry level projector generally = unsafe from what I have seen.

In a way, and I now this sounds selfish, I wish some would stick to pointers.
    In fairness it depends on what they're doing with them.

For home use, nothing wrong with cheap projectors just to get started as a taster for the hobby although if anyone is serious I'd always suggest a serious projector to avoid financial waste The only real time cheap projectors become a problem is for yourself when you realise you could have bought better or for others if you start to do public shows.

So just what does this say about the "hobby" ?
    What, just a few years ago, was an elaborate, expensive, technically difficult "special" visual treat is now an almost commonplace home entertainment addition.
    I worry more about the vision/eyesight for all these people who quickly invest in the "latest" thing. As someone who has spent most of my life dependent on the acuity and ability to perceive the slightest difference in colors now that I'm in my mid-late forties I have become alarmingly distressed at the rate at which my visual faculties are diminishing. (I'm losing my precision sight !) Some of this mildly accelerated degeneration is undoubtedly due to a lot of over-exposure to UV light when in my teens/early twenties. Even though the warnings were written clearly in simple terms I still didn't pay much attention to them. Perhaps the warnings need to be just a little more complicated so that the user is caused to think a bit about what they are about to do.
    For the new users I might expand on this for your benefit...
    Follow ALL warnings and safety precautions religously. What seems like minor or no damage to your eyes is an illusion ! Realize that the normal drop in your vision as you age will be multiplied by the damage you cause when you are young. So the imperceptible occasional flash from the laser today WILL cause you to loose perception when you get older. A few bright "spots" that remain in your vision for a few minutes could amplify a loss of vision in those same spots when you hit 50.
    With the scientific breakthroughs and development in prolonging the average lifetimes for people the last thing you want is to live until 125 years of age but have been blind by 70.

haha ,welcome, more members is better.
    When I will join 1000 message Club?
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Pangolin and X-Laser both had a huge presence at the recent DJ Expo in Atlantic City, and as a result I'm seeing a lot of increased interest in lasers on some of the DJ forums. Many DJs are now looking at purchasing a laser and Quickshow as an upsell and to give them an edge over their competition- I personally know of one here in Tampa and one in Orlando. They have no idea what they're getting into other than it's a cool toy that the competition doesn't have.

Unfortunately, knowing the mindset of DJs like I do (they paid a lot of $$, so they're going to use it regardless of venue logistics because laser regulations are not being enforced), there will be some that will cut corners to showcase their new toys at their events.
    Last edited by DJBob; 08-23-2011 at 04:22.

Hi Bob -

Quote Originally Posted by DJBob View Post
    Pangolin and X-Laser both...They have no idea what they're getting into...

Unfortunately...there will be some that will cut corners to showcase their new toys at their events.
    It's a 'conundrum' to-be sure, but, unfortunately, it's a 'tide' we'll never stem... At least, in this case though, you can be sure that both Pango and X-Laser will 'steer them straight' - And, hopefully, they'll find PL, here, where there's a great culture of 'doing it right / safe'...sometimes this 'grassroots' route of affecting-change is more effective - getting people to 'see the light' themselves, of the benefit of doing things safe / non-hack, and 'self-regulate' - MUCH-preferable to more Gov. -
    Yes, tho, like you said, unfortunately there will be some that will ignore the good advice / training they'll get, and not follow the guardrails of their variance...

...All you can-do in such cases is report them, and set a good example, yourself... frustrating, yes, since it seems CDRH will do little but say 'thanks for notifying us...' but since killing the offenders is not a very positive-way to resolve the problem... Not much else you can-do... But, when I, personally, get to a point where I feel the need to 'report' someone / a Co., I'll go directly to the Director and not give up contacting him, till we speak. At-least, then, I know it's 'gone as far as I can take it'... again, short of the DSR1 from a watertower-thang... jk..

peas..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-23-2011 at 10:51.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hi Bob -

It's a 'conundrum' to-be sure, but, unfortunately, it's a 'tide' we'll never stem... At least, in this case though, you can be sure that both Pango and X-Laser will 'steer them straight' - And, hopefully, they'll find PL, here, where there's a great culture of 'doing it right / safe'...sometimes this 'grassroots' route of affecting-change is more effective - getting people to 'see the light' themselves, of the benefit of doing things safe / non-hack, and 'self-regulate' - MUCH-preferable to more Gov. -
    Yes, tho, like you said, unfortunately there will be some that will ignore the good advice / training they'll get, and not follow the guardrails of their variance...

...All you can-do in such cases is report them, and set a good example, yourself... frustrating, yes, since it seems CDRH will do little but say 'thanks for notifying us...' but since killing the offenders is not a very positive-way to resolve the problem... Not much else you can-do... But, when I, personally, get to a point where I feel the need to 'report' someone / a Co., I'll go directly to the Director and not give up contacting him, till we speak. At-least, then, I know it's 'gone as far as I can take it'... again, short of the DSR1 from a watertower-thang... jk..

peas..
    j
    Not pointing any fingers at either Pangolin or X-Laser; both are doing everything they can to simplify the variance process and keep everyone legal. I've been a DJ for over 30 years, I know that while a lot of DJ's are professionals with good business ethics and safety concerns, there are also a lot of DJs who won't mind cutting corners to justify the expense.

Also, your signature says "Have a nice Ray". Thanks for supporting the Tampa Bay Rays .
    Last edited by DJBob; 08-23-2011 at 13:25.