Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Commercial He-Ne?

Default Biggest Commercial He-Ne?

Here's my next laser clean-up project. It's the 1966 H-Nu model 3351PS He-Ne. The head's almost 8' long and the power supply about 6' tall. Dig the glass spiral on one of the tubes, and that bodacious set of knobs! This has got to be the biggest He-Ne laser sold commercially. I haven't found any information or specifications for it yet. Can't wait to give it a thorough bath, and wipe away 45 years of warehouse dust.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-Nu 3351 System.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	33174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-Nu 3351 Head.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	33175

You find some damn sexy lasers!

Good luck with the renovation, please keep us posted. And thanks for sharing!
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Can't wait to see that thing fire up..

Only chance of a laser beam coming out of this beast is if I install a 635nm diode into the high reflector mount, let it expand to match the original beam diameter and re-collimate at the output coupler mount. There's plenty of room!

Here's a picture of this laser in a September 1966 Laser Focus article written by an H-Nu engineer about the design of gas lasers. No specific information about this model in the article.

Name:	H-nu LF 9:66.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	33176

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Here's a picture of this laser in a September 1966 Laser Focus article written by an H-Nu engineer about the design of gas lasers. No specific information about this model in the article.

Name:	H-nu LF 9:66.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	33176
    I know someone who can get it running again. It should be a 100mw hene and was used for holography.

Wow!, a 100mW HeNe... Nice

That's quite a laser you've got there Bob, do keep us informed on its history and it's restoration.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks Jeremy! Today I just received an old book ("Lasers & Their Applications" by M.J. Beesley, 1971) that has a pic of the old S&C laser you have via Smogthemog here. Now THAT's a classy laser!

Name:	S&C System.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	33199

Wow!, that's cool. Any chance you could scan me a copy?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Woe a couple lasers I have not seen before...cool. The big one looks to be DC excited right Bob? It the tube cracked? Get it refurbished.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)