Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes LEM?

I would like to see some new stuff and some of the things that Randy, once again, did not get to play at SELEM. A variety would be very nice.

Randy had the chance to play his show, but he decided not to. Also, he had to leave early on Sunday morning. Had he stayed later, he would have had another chance to run it, as we re-configured the auditorium to the classic 2+1 projector layout for Tim Walsh and Mike Dunn to run their shows. (One RGB graphics projector on the center screen, and two matched RGB beam projectors left and right facing out towards the audience.)

Part of the problem is that very few people submitted a list of shows that they wanted to run. In the vacuum, other people ran what they had. If people would like to see more variety, they need to speak up early and PLAN to bring the shows they want to watch. (Seriously, some people didn't even have play-lists set up...)

Adam

rebuttal = good, but please guys if you go further stick this in another thread.

Adam, if I get what I want all built up it will come to SELEM if wanted it will seriously help avoid the cluster of moving cables around.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Randy had the chance to play his show, but he decided not to. Also, he had to leave early on Sunday morning. Had he stayed later, he would have had another chance to run it, as we re-configured the auditorium to the classic 2+1 projector layout for Tim Walsh and Mike Dunn to run their shows. (One RGB graphics projector on the center screen, and two matched RGB beam projectors left and right facing out towards the audience.)

Part of the problem is that very few people submitted a list of shows that they wanted to run. In the vacuum, other people ran what they had. If people would like to see more variety, they need to speak up early and PLAN to bring the shows they want to watch. (Seriously, some people didn't even have play-lists set up...)

Adam
    leading in trailing technology

Randy had the chance to play his show, but he decided not to. Also, he had to leave early on Sunday morning. Had he stayed later, he would have had another chance to run it, as we re-configured the auditorium to the classic 2+1 projector layout for Tim Walsh and Mike Dunn to run their shows.
    Adam,

I never meant to insinuate anything other than it just did not happen. It was just the way it went as see it. I do like to tease him about it though. I'm hoping to get an invite down to Knox real soon so I can see some of his shows and drink some beers there. I'm not sure that I can wait until Spring of 2012. Never meant to offend.

It's OK Ian - no offense taken. It's just that I know Randy was bothered that he didn't run his show, and in retrospect I think there really wasn't any good reason why we didn't watch it, apart from the fact that Randy didn't feel like stopping the action for us to swap the cables around. (We certainly did a lot of swapping on Sunday, both for Tim and Mike, and later for Aaron and Frank, and that all went very well, so it's something we can definitely do quickly.)

I'm just saying that in the future, it would probably be best for us to plan for the fact that we'll need to change the projectors around a bit as the event progresses. (And this would apply to the GLLEM as well.) It might sound like a lot of work, but it's really not that bad at all.

BTW - the matrix control router is a cool idea (sort of like the ILDA splitter taken to the next level), but sometimes there's no substitute for just pulling cable. Also, after watching several shows this year on multiple projectors (14+) and then seeing the same shows later on just two matched projectors, I have to say that I sometimes prefer the two-projoector layout.

In a related topic, Brad (MassiveSound) was talking about the possibility of a Knoxville LEM at some point in the future - possibly right after the New Year. So keep that in mind too.

Adam

Also, after watching several shows this year on multiple projectors (14+) and then seeing the same shows later on just two matched projectors, I have to say that I sometimes prefer the two-projoector layout.
    Adam
    Very true less pj's looks less confusing, but the effort on the peoples part to bring projectors and all the setup time and then just have them sit there not used except during the LivePro session and friday most of day; as I recall all were really only running at these times, perhaps late sunday after I left. Could leave one with the feel of why bother bringing a projector if the best 4 are only gonna be used the majority of the event.

Either way my dream solution could support any of it.

Randy had the chance to play his show, but he decided not to. Also, he had to leave early on Sunday morning. Had he stayed later, he would have had another chance to run it, as we re-configured the auditorium to the classic 2+1 projector layout for Tim Walsh and Mike Dunn to run their shows. ....

Adam
    Quick clarification, then no more SELEM discussions here from me -

Actually, it was never choice by me not to run my shows - trust me, I inquired SEVERAL times Friday & Saturday about schedules, and by the time a slot "sort of" opened late Saturday, I was butting head-to-head with the DJ sets that were scheduled and ready to go, and even then I was told (NOT by Adam) that "the graphics shows ran Friday". It took a while for the folks running the various consoles to get projectors rearranged and audio rerouted back to a LAN-connected laptop, then the time-line on my show got screwed up during the last minute copy-and-prep session. With everyone on pause for the DJ set, once I saw (during the actual show attempt) that the show timeline got screwed up, I knew it was time to say "uncle".

And yeah, I had to leave Sunday - Monday was spent with insurance adjustors haggling over our storm-damaged roof.
    Our schedule sucked this year...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it

SO anyway, about GLLEM -

I know it's early in the planning stages, but how many days do you anticipate for the event?
    The venue sounds like it would be tres' cool - let us know how the recon turns out!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-27-2011 at 22:16.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I know we are a long way off, but was wondering how things are progressing on the location and if anything has been found that sparked interest. You can consider this a bump as well...

Quote Originally Posted by ireedz View Post
    I know we are a long way off, but was wondering how things are progressing on the location and if anything has been found that sparked interest. You can consider this a bump as well...
    Still in search of the right place, going to start calling the smaller schools in the area with gym's and stages to see if they are able to rent them. The local YMCA has room but i don;t really care for it. The theater is the best option so far but they ruined it a bit with all the lighting that was added for over the tables to be a poker room.

Let us know when you get to needing some funds to reserve space. If there is anything else that I/we can help with, get the word out about it.