Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Pointer Measurement

Default Laser Pointer Measurement

One of the "back burner" projects I did today was to measure the wavelength of an old Ednalite laser pointer I found a while back. It's connected by a wire to a wall wart, so I figure it to be from the late '90s. Apparently it's 650.513nm according to the '86 Burleigh WA-10 Wavemeter. I love the Wavemeter. I love how it's got mechanical motion going on, it's comically heavy, and has super-precision. Could never afford one, but 20 years later I got it for the price of a good meal out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ednalite Pointer Measurement.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	27274

no offense, but why talk about pointers on photonlexicon? O_~
    PL is mostly where people talk about laser scanning and laser modules, LPF is all about pointers.

Still nice though

Laser pointers are still "Lasers, All Kinds", right? Besides, one of the first things people do with laser pointers is to scan the beam by hand to see the pretty patterns formed, and send the beam through refracting media to see the nice lumia effects. It ain't only about burning things.

pointers are notorious as being abused by toys.
    they have not many uses, and when they have..well they get abused way too often and such

Good reason for those who have them to come here and be inspired to do something artful with them. By the way, some would say that laser light shows are every bit a frivolous and energy wasteful activity. Not ME mind you, but I've certainly heard it. Anyway, the post was more about the meter than the laser, and vintage equipment, but still, any laser is a "Laser, All Kinds".

entertainment is in fact very often a wastefull activity.
    about pointers, well just saying that the reputation of it isn't too good..
    and yes laser,all kinds is the right topic.

PJ if you had read the actual post rather than having a knee jerk - " we aint about pointers , we are better than that " reaction you would have found the guys post content is really about the wavemeter.
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Ahh... You have much to learn young 'pyjamas'

Bob is a *very* highly respected member here. I know you thought you were doing the right thing, and i have to say Bob has been extremely nice with his replies to you

Bob's an avid collector of vintage laser technology as well as a professional holographer. He's forgotten more about lasers than you've learned in your short lifetime

Much respect to you Bob

Hehe.... Just noticed that this was my 3,000th post
    Last edited by Jem; 09-11-2011 at 23:22.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

my apologies.
    just woke up

anyhow, nice box, would be nice for binning 445 diodes