Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highshool student going to college, but where and for what?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hi, I'm the Ghost of Christmas Past, listen to me for I know what I speak.

Get a EE degree and get a "Minor" in Theatre Arts. Best of both worlds and gives you a fallback career. By the time you graduate, Lasers will be a different world. Get the degree, its worth it long term. I know of what I speak, I just spent a year at a low wage job that would not pay the bills and a year of unemployment in a downturn economy, and even with the best practical skills in the world, the folks in Human Resources at a company ONLY look at the paperwork you turn in.
    For the most of the part they are secretaries and part time house wives, and just look at a few criteria, such as GPA, Past Salary, What Degree you have, and who you worked for before. The fact that I can field strip and repair some of the most complex systems in the world is meaningless to them. I did not look good on paper, because I work outside of my degree field, and THEY could not believe I could do the job with a Education degree. They are the gatekeepers, and prevent you from getting interviewed by the OPERATIONS folks, who actually choose who gets hired. It is the way the world works.

Besides, as a young man, in college, you will find the HOT CHICKS are in liberal arts (ie Theatre, Music, English, etc) and rarely in Engineering.

If you hate Math, GET A MFA (Master in Theatre Arts) and a minor in Electronic Technology.

If you want to freelance in the laser/lighting/sound field without a degree, and make enough money to have a wife and kids on, you would need to have world class social skills. DON'T try it. Even a two year degree is better then nothing. If you do not have the degree, you start at ROADIE, and have to work your way up, and are forever limited to 30,000$ a year in the US. That AIN'T enough money.

Quoting L.Michael Roberts' book on how to do laser shows. There is ONE page in chapter TWO:

The entire chapter II reads as follows, and I quote:

"Can you make money doing Laser Shows?"

"NO!"

end chapter II.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-31-2011 at 03:34.

Hey, i am really glad that so many people are willing to help me out!

math is my strong point, so i think that will help me out.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Hey, i am really glad that so many people are willing to help me out!

math is my strong point, so i think that will help me out.
    That is a great plus. Physics, engineering and computer science are basically applied math. I hope you like integrals...