Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highshool student going to college, but where and for what?

Default Highshool student going to college, but where and for what?

Hey, so i'm a highschool Jr, 11th grade. and i'm starting to look at colleges.
    Though because I would like to do live lasershows as a profession, i'm not really sure about school

I was wondering what anyone else did for education, and maybe some sugestions on what I might want to do.

My main intrist is doing live lasershows but the lighting industry is maybe where i want to go.

Just looking for some help since my guideance team at my high school doesnt know what to do with me.

Thanks!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

The advice they gave me was to study what I could handle, and keep on doing lights/lasers as a hobby. That way you are sure you have a profession later, while you keep building up experience.
    I'd suggest to become an engineer. That way you are 100 % safe, and you can do all the jobs you want.
    The big downside of studying engineering is that you have not much spare time left to spend on lasers.
    I'm currently studying physics (which is as of now about as heavy as engineer) and I did about only two or three shows last year. So that is a big thing to consider. If you study physics or engineering, you will have no social life (but you can ask yourself: do you have one at the moment? )

haha, not to much at this point, spend all my time programming :P, but yeah thats what alot of people were saying, electromechanical engineering is what one person said he did.

Just looking for advice at this point.

I would recommend Electronics Engineering and Computer Science those are great fields of study and both go hand in hand with lasers as a hobby or profession and if lasers don't work out professionally then there are lots of jobs out there that you could get with and engineering\computer background.

-Jim

Go for Chinese language !

With that under your belt you would have no problem getting a job (or lasers for that matter...LOL)

Cheers

What area of Maine do you live in? I am a senior in high school in Cumberland County. I plan to study electrical engineering or computer science as Jim suggests.

i'm in york county, personal message me if you would like!
    Last edited by gabe; 08-31-2011 at 16:04.

UC Berkeley offers a great Electrical Engineering/ Computer Science major (2in1 sucka!). It is a great school if you can deal with stinky hippies (like me).

UNL is where its at.

Husker football is #1 here,
    but engineering is UNL's "baby" as it were.

You can specialize your EE degree with something related to what you would like to do. I've chosen E/M fields and optics, but am still able to take some classes and even do mentored research within the materials and devices area.

Choose from the following:
    Communications & Signal Processing
    Electromagnetic Fields and Optics
    Electronics and Computer Engineering
    Energy and Power Systems
    Materials and Devices
    Bioengineering

3-4 of those ought to come in handy if you plan on running your own laser show business.

I've been wondering the same thing, I just finished my final big exams today (Year 12), and still not exactly sure what I'm doing next year

If you are into the lighting/lasers/theater etc industry, then knowing your electricity is always a big help. That way you can build and repair your own equipment legally