Thread: They are Dangerous-even Deadly and found Everywhere- Li batts can kill.

Default They are Dangerous-even Deadly and found Everywhere- Li batts can kill.

We all have heard how Li batteries can catch fire or explode-especially the cheaper batts and cheap chargers.
    And the fires caused can cost lives.

Even perhaps more dangerous are the flat button cells found everywhere- Children can easily swallow them and because the symptoms are so similar to other maladies, death can follow due to misdiagnosis.

These need to be stored with this in mind and disposed of in a proper manner and never left where children can find them.

I read in the news today that those about the size of a nickel are the worst- getting lodged in the child's digestive tract rather than being passed like the small one would hopefully
    be. If not for an Xray at about five days after swallowing the Li cell, this child may have died. The digestive juices had already began to break down the battery and the child was quite sick- he fortunetly survived after removal of the batt.

hak

Most battery button cells are covered in a substance that makes you vomit as soon as it touches your tongue.
    Not sure if it is regulated by law in all countries. (probably not)

Best to store them in your medicine cabinet, unreachable for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Most battery button cells are covered in a substance that makes you vomit as soon as it touches your tongue.

OK, who is going to fire up the video camera and demo this? I want YouTube coverage by COB.

Many years ago, I was being a little bit too curious and dissecting a CR2032 cell. I was just sitting on the floor, and had the two halves sitting on a paper towel to keep them from getting the floor dirty. Well, next thing I know, that paper towel was completely ablaze. I smacked the hell out of it with my hand and it went out pretty quickly, but it still could have been very very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post

wait, seriously? I test how much power is remaining in those cells by licking them.
    the more tingly the more power.

I kid you not.

Craig

I think Bart may have some sort of trick batteries, or possibly leaking ones. I too use the tingly battery meter in my mouth. But then again, this is the same guy who almost caught his house on fire for the sake of curiosity....