Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flicker

A couple of great posts, thank you. That's clarified a few things and helped my understanding of how galvo's work .
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Flicker is due to too many points in the frame for the point rate you are using. The way to solve it is to increase the point rate in the software settings. If this causes distortion in the images then you can (1) lower scan angle, (2) get better galvos, or (3) live with it an hope people don't notice.

Lowering the scan angle (which is what masterpj was telling you to do by increasing your projector distance) or getting better scanners will do nothing for flicker unless you increase the point rate afterwards.

Flicker isn't typically caused by low frame rates. Low frame rates are caused by too many points in the frame... which IS flicker.

Flicker = low frame rate = too many points in frame for given scan speed.

^^ What he said about high point count. Think about it this way (simplified, but holds true I think) if your galvos can handle 30k points per second, thats a frame rate of 30fps if a frame has 1000 points.
    But if you suddenly drop in a frame with 10,000 points, you'll only get 3 fps, so the flicker will be obvious.

Bear in mind that just adding 60k scanners will not reduce the flicker UNTIL you also increase the scan rate in the software. As a good number of shows/frames are optimized for 30k, you may mess up how it looks.
    Faster scanners really just allow you scan the same 30k frames wider before distortion/damage kicks in.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.