Thread: Looking for suggestions for laser screen / backdrop material...

Default Looking for suggestions for laser screen / backdrop material...

I'm looking for ideas for a suitable material & color recommendations for a screen / backdrop for an indoor Christmas laser graphics & lighting display.

The material would need to be light & portable enough to be rolled up when not in use, and could be hung from a portable photographer's backdrop stand (the same type some of use for hanging scrim at SELEM and other events.)

IMO, the portable projector screens I've seen or used are almost too bright & reflective for laser graphics, especially in a very dark room.
    Ideally, the material would be some shade other than white that would still look good with laser graphics, and would also make a good backdrop for a "wash" from different RGB LED fixtures.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Can't you just dial the laser power down a bit? Should make a fair bit of difference when combined with other lighting fixtures.

Anything white should do the trick. Photographer's stores have white backdrops that can be used, or use a piece of white cotton cloth. Bed sheets and rolling window blinds are popular choices.

I don't know whether you have the same stuff in the States, but I have used backout curtaining very successfully in the past.

The stuff in this link is the extra wide curtaining...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-WID...item3a69ac9df9
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Randy,

I would try grey vinyl or spray a white vinyl screen with the vinyl spray that is available in auto parts stores for recoloring and touching up auto interiors. The sprays are less glossy than a lot of the pre-colored surfaces and are very durable. I have a piece of white vinyl that I used for a theater screen in my basement that you can have if you like. I would even be able to deliver it within the next couple weeks and use it as an excuse to take the wife to knox for a nice dinner. It has a useable size of 6'-4" x 6'-4". I put a hole in it when I was taking it down. It was much wider. Let me know if you have any interest in it and I can shoot you an email with a photo.

Cheers, Ian

Thanks for the feedback!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....