Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

Hi to all,

I'm a new member and wanna learn a lot more about lasers.
    Forgive me that i don't know much about lasers yet but once we all had to learn didn't we ??.
    I don't know persons who can help me with the problems that i had so far so i'm glad i found this forum
    At the moment i have some green (9 x cl 400g) and some RGB from laserworld (3 x cl 2000 and 2 x cs 1500) and some smoke machines.
    The 5 RGB lasers i bought last month and i also bought Phoenix Live with the Akai midi controller (APC40) & Laserworld showeditor 2011 with 2 usb interfaces
    I'm gonna sell most green lasers because i wanna use only RGB. (Pitty that the green in the RGB lasers is only 200mw)
    Last few weeks i have been busy finding out best way how to use the software
    I found out how to play the shows on the Laserworld software with the 2 interfaces and also how to use the Phoenix.
    Now i wanna learn how to make shows and what software i can use for that.
    Maybe in the future i can build my own laser but that's NOT my priority at the moment.
    The lasers are used during on my Dj/Vj shows so i need simple way to operate.
    I saw that there will be a meeting in Holland in october and i hope i can be there also.

Greetz Ernst
    Last edited by vjernst; 09-06-2011 at 12:13. Reason: forgot a word lol

Hi,

Couple of points;

1. Most members on here would steer you away from laserworld. You've already got your projectors so make the most of them but just be aware there are better choices in many of our opinions. Search out the Laserworld thread using the search facility to find out why most of use don't like them particularly. To be blunt on the reasons, in many people's posted experiences they fall short on claimed powers and some have doubts about quality.

Kvant are the top of the tree if money is no object. Custom built projectors from the dealers on here are another way of getting a quality projector. However, quality isn't cheap but pays you back in the long run.

Also, with quality you get the choice of the better wavelengths and better modules for modulation characteristics.

2. Same can be said of Showeditor, most on here regard it quite lowly.

3. Phoenix is good software although most of us prefer Pangolin products as they are the market leader and arguably the best and easiest products to use. Doesn't Phoenix Live also support show creation? If not for a simple solution I would recommend Pangolin QuickShow although you might find yourself wanting more creation power in the future from the sounds of it. To that end Pangolin have a more powerful software, Beyond. However, Beyond is still under development although available to purchase. The result is the bugs are still be ironed out and features added. With Beyond you do also get LD2000 which was Pangolin's top professional software before Beyond and although not the easiest to use, is very powerful.

Hi ernst,

Welcome to the forum... :-)

(dutch mode on)
    Er zitten hier best wat nederlanders en behoorlijk wat mensen met veel kennis!!!
    Heelveel plezier op het forum!
    (dutch mode off)

Thanks Guys,

I already found out that Laserworld has a bad name on the lasermarket , however i had the lasers measured last week
    Both CS 1500 gave 1,4 watt total output each. (pitty that green is only 200 mw)

The CL 2000 i didnt have measured but the specifications are the same as the CS 1500
    Not too bad because i payed only 600 euro ex VAT for each laser (was a special offer from last month)
    I bought 2 more for a friend and also 2 x laserworld interfaces software and cables (also very cheap)

The 3 CL 2000 i bought 2 months ago and 1 had some problems with the scanners (it's back again to Germany for the second time)
    Those came from an ebay deal (LEP Laser Germany sells those)

About the software i have to learn a lot
    Phoenix Live only has a timeline in it and Laserworld showeditor i didnt try yet

(dutch mode On)

Ja toppie om hier te zijn.
    Ik hoop veel van jullie te leren

(dutch mode OFF)

greetz Ernst

Hello Ernst. Welcome to the forum

You have come to the right place. You won't have to make any buying decisions by yourself now.

Being in ther Netherlands you are in good company. mccarrot, edison and masterpj are just a few prominent PL members
    who live close by and have a wealth of knowledge to offer. I would definitely recommend catching up with the guys in October. It's a great experience to meet your fellow laser enthusiast face to face.

Welcome and have fun
    Kit

Hello Amigos!, The greeting from Argentina, my name is Norberto, I have 2 RGB 1.2w and 1 blue 1w.
    The Black Mamba is soft and Mamba 2.

Thank you for this important forum

wow i'm here for only a few days now and already learned a lot
    thanks to all who are active in this forum

If you got the Laserworlds for €600 ex. VAT each, I don't think you struck a bad deal.

Power from Laserworld projectors may be a bit on the low side, but if you do the math, €600 gives you an entry level RGB projector with a decent casing, and I believe Laserworld is even friendly enough to throw in a wheeled road case, which are about €100-150 each if you want them spare.

Even if you were to rip out all of the laser modules, the rest of the parts would still be worth the money you paid for them. Heck, if you're lucky, you can even get rid of those LW modules for a few hundred Euros and use the money to install some better quality lasers later.

On the software end, Quickshow *is* the way to go if you want simple to operate but powerful shows. It supports triggering frames through MIDI, so you can link it up to your Akai APC40 controller or even to your VJ application via a MIDI loop-back driver like Midi Yoke. That way, laser frames and video images can even be triggered simultaneously.

If you want to get rid of the green units, I may be interested in two of them. The CS-400g is a pretty decent starter unit which has enough room for modification. (I'd be happy to help upgrade the remaining 400G's to RGB if you want.)

Heya

I must say that i'm not disappointed in the Laserworld that i have.
    The series came without flightcase but for 2 lasers i have a flightcase now
    In the future i wanna get more powerful lasers but for now i wanna practice and learn.
    Using Phoenix with the APC works great but some nice beamshows on good music should be welcome.
    All i have now are the shows that came with the laserworld software.
    Some shows are nice but most i won't use.
    I have 2 laserworld usb interfaces and this week i will get a second phoenix usb interface.
    Maybe i better should have bought the quickshow or better the beyond from pangolin.
    On my VJ shows i use a few powerful beamers (5000 ansi lumen) and i saw some great videos in where they used lasers and video together.
    It will be a challenge to make a show using my video remixes and the lightshow.

greetz VJ Ernesto

well we already met and just to make a formal welcom : Welcome to the club !

Michel