Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser as Headlight... From BMW

Default Laser as Headlight... From BMW

"The blue laser beam is also converted by a fluorescent phosphor material into a pure white light — “pleasant to the eye,” BMW says"

do you think they are using the same projectors we do, to harvest those blues????
    such chepskates, fluorescent and other tricks. they should go full RGB with dichros etc etc etc. Hahahahahaha!!!
    "its called character briggs..."

So what i am wondering now is, do we in this circle have the tech to do this...?
    I guess there we be more high power blues coming...
    I guess PACOM will be coming back...
    Blue will get cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by hivelaser View Post
    I guess PACOM will be coming back...
    The laser light will not be coherent anymore AFTER the phosphor, thats why it's being used for the headlamps. It's not a usable beam.

It IS going to be useful in the future for video projectors and moving head fixtures which used to require a white HID lamp, though! With some luck, some of these units can be rebuilt through a drop-in replacement.

Phillips does this already... they use blue LED's to make white using a yellow phosphor... ex

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    Phillips does this already... they use blue LED's to make white using a yellow phosphor... ex

The nasty thing about LED lamps is that it's fairly impossible to focus them on a decent spot or use them in an optical integrator. That's why Casio used the 445nm laser diodes in the first place.

LED is good for floodlighting but terrible for spot lighting. Lasers shot through a phosphorescent element (like Casio does) still have enough beam characteristics left to focus them on a larger spot and use them as a profile spot fixture.

I do expect theatrical lighting companies (like ADB, Clay Paky, Vari*Lite and Robert Juliat) to develop profile spots based on lasers in the future as well.

Just as the TV projectors used laser diodes to power the phosphor, these new headlamps will almost certainly not apply the phosphor layers to the surface of the laser itself due to the risk of contamination, damage, heating, etc. So I think there may soon be a new source for harvesting and potentially other suppliers and competitive prices.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Just as the TV projectors used laser diodes to power the phosphor, these new headlamps will almost certainly not apply the phosphor layers to the surface of the laser itself due to the risk of contamination, damage, heating, etc. So I think there may soon be a new source for harvesting and potentially other suppliers and competitive prices.
    Stop drooling, your wasting your time.

Steve's predictions. Casio Blues will soon have 5X the die size they have now. Put some in reserve.

There is no large quantity application for a 1 watt tight beam blue. Not anymore. Printing went to IR. CD/DVD/OD went UV, and 1 watt UVs are commercially available. MDs hate blue for surgical work. None of these high power IR devices have had the narrow linewidth or stability to be directly doubled. OPSL will NOT come down in price for 10-15 years. DNA sequencing and cell sorting went to 473 and a few milliwatts. This is based on watching trends for 20 years in the Laser Industry and knowing what most lasers get sold for. ION is still made for high power, high quality, or high stability, or tunability. DNA guys are still buying GAS, in the form of 20 mW 488, Why? Because its cheap, proven, and no patent or stability issues. Its actually cheaper then 473 or 488 solid state, no patent royalties, prven technologies, at least for desk top boxes. GAS sales were up for the last two years.

Applications shifted to UV, IR, and 532. You will see YELLOW before you see blue get better for laser show applications. (Steve knows of some really cool, easy to make, yellow sources, just waiting to clear patent hurdles, and yellow is medically useful)

Tight blue has no use in a headlight, it burns the phosphor. RGB is too expensive to place on one die, seen any high power RGB vecsel array applications lately? Nope, they should have been here by now. Most laser TVs proved too expensive in the recessio-depression, and arc lights improved to near their theoretical limits.

Spotlights DO NOT need a point source, trust me on that..... Too many years of trying to evenly illuminate 6" diameter spots from two meters away in a certain lab...

Unless some one makes a real good QE breakthrough, tight blue is going the way of the DODO and tight red has reached a small density hill that will not be beat for a while.

Yeah, I'm pessimistic.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-08-2011 at 11:59.

funny thing... I did ask spec (i think it was spec) for almost 8-9 years ago, why not use laser on the car as a high beam :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Unless some one makes a real good QE breakthrough, tight blue is going the way of the DODO and tight red has reached a small density hill that will not be beat for a while.

Yeah, I'm pessimistic.

Steve
    Pessimistic? I hope it means that in the near future, laser shows will go back to the people who are willing to invest knowledge and budget into them.

The availability of really cheap powerful lasers meant that every hobbyist went out and started doing laser shows, bringing down the overall quality (and safety) level of the industry. When everyone was still using gas heads, laser shows were a thing of people who at least knew what they were doing and had the budget to run a medium to large scale corporation from them, instead of 'mobile DJ's' who carry a few Chinese multi-watt heads in their record bags.