Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aixis blue power adjustment?

Default Aixis blue power adjustment?

Received one of these, all works fine and happy and modulates good. I'd like to adjust the power level (prest to 300mW) does anyone else have one of these and know about the two pots assigned to this? The labelling is a little confusing on the data sheet, and I'm not sure if you should adjust one first, or whether they do different things?

Attached info from Aixis:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power adjust.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	27302

Any help would be great!

I suspect one of the pots is standby current, the other one would be gain, like on a Flexmod.

How to find out:

Apply 0V to the ILDA modulation input. Tweak both pots and see which one causes the module to start lasing. Adjust that one to just under the lasing threshold.

Turn the other pot fully CCW and apply 5V to the modulation input, and adjust for max. desired power. 445 Nichias can run 1W without much trouble, dial it up to 750mW if you want to be safe or if the module gets too hot during operation.

For obvious reasons, power adjustment should be done with an LPM or, as a stop-gap measure, using an ammeter in the diode leads.

I thought one of those pots was TEC cooler temp...

i didn't tweak anything on mine yet. watching this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GoolGaul View Post
    I thought one of those pots was TEC cooler temp...

i didn't tweak anything on mine yet. watching this thread.
    Does that thing even have a TEC?

It's possible the idle current is set through a fixed resistor on the board, that would make one pot TEC target temperature and the other would be driver gain (laser power).

I assume it has a TEC. After running for an hour, with 5v @ modulation, the lab housing is cool to the touch - below room temp.

AixiZ
    not Aixis.(FYI pronounced 'ache' 'ziss')

I have one too but have not put it into a projector yet so I will hope to learn from this thread+......Thanks

- I did a demo of mine to some at SELEM and most liked what they saw. WE were too busy atm to mess with those pots.

If anyone (CONUS or Canada) is wanting a small price break I am willing to host a GB on these. Hopefully at or less than $200 with free shipping. I would need 10 takers in order to get us a price break as they are aleady about a low as AixiZ can price them, afaik.
    PM me and I will keep a list and post a new thread if I get enough to follow thru.

Len

edit --from the site Aixiz.com...

"This is a laser module based on the 445nm famous diode. The power is pre-set to nominal specification at 500mw. As shown, the power output may be adjusted through the power supply blue current pot to higher levels which of which the diode is capable. We will not, however, warranty the unit for this kind of use. Unit size is 30x30x50mm with the power supply 70x35x40mm. 445nm 455nm laser module, Set for 500nm( edit from Hak--I think this is a typo it should be 500mW) adjustable to 1000mw, 12VDC input, OEM ready construction."--end quote

I will check w/AixiZ to see if I can get more info on the pots and the modulation.
    I forgot to ask yesterday but I did see that they had at least 10 units on the shelf.
    I did ask about the warranty disclaimer and was told that, of course it should not be adjusted up so high that it fails(like over 1W) and thus they said it should be no problem at 1W so they drew the line in the sand at the preset 500 mWs. That does not necessarily mean that you could not get some relief if it failed at 1W or less.

IIRC is does have TEC cooling and for sure active cooling in the form of fans on both the head and the PS. I will confirm the TEC as well. AixiZ is well known for having some of the best Customer Support going. I will personally test every unit gotten for the GB if it happens.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 09-14-2011 at 15:36.

I'm up for a group buy hakzaw, sending PM...
    Pointers
    O-Like 532@100mW & 650@200mW
    Survival Laser 445@1.1W
    Projectors
    Homemade Variable RPM Lumia Box 405@500mW & 532@100mW & 650@200mW & 460@1.3W
    Kvant CM6000 with ScannerMAX 506 30-40k galvos - 637@1.3W & 532@1.8W & 445@3W + DMX Lumia Gratings
    Self-Repaired 532@500mW + Pangolin FB3, Chinese Galvos, Analog Modulation
    Tools & Software
    Radiator Laser Synthesizer
    LaserBee USB 2.5W thermopile meter
    Spaghetti, RIYA Multibus Lite
    Pangolin QuickShow, Beyond Advanced, integrated FB4

Thanks for help so far!

I'm going to drag mine to the LEM next week and ask someone nicely to meter mine for me while I fiddle. I had a gentle fiddle with the two pots and they do seem to both adjust output power, but I've put them back until I can get a meter on it.

It does seem quite a nice little module, runs cool and seems happy and stable!

I just got one of these puppies for half the price of the Aixyz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260851461565...84.m1439.l2649

It's TTL only, but dirt cheap. Even though it's advertised as 300mW, we know which diode's underneath the hood and that it can run 1W without much trouble.

Module looks to be a standard O-Like, does anyone know where the relevant pots are to dial up the current?

If the Aixyz has a TEC, it may be a more useful choice for more demanding applications.

EDIT- I apoligize Stoney--I miss-read your post- big difference between 'those' and 'these.' And I see now that your were not saying you have found the same one--my BAD. I need new glasses I guess. sorry... i gotta slow down and read more better.

Sorry Stoney I must disagree with you- your 'puppy' is a diifferent breed of dog.^^^ thats not quite accurate and not the same lab laser at all- no fans- no TEC and only TTL. Also the analog AixiZ takes 115vac can & can be ordered with plugs for USA or UK. This TTL Boblaser needs 12vdc. Has no fans or TEC.

You are trying to compare apples with oranges IMO.

AixiZ also sells that same lab as Boblasers does(but not for 205$-)- it does cost a little more than 99$ but it is shipped from Texas USA- not Hong Kong- Boblasers does not have the overhead and the same labor costs as AixiZ, and pays less for them as they are already both in China- so if you want quicker shipping (at least to USA/Canada.. from Boblaser to USA it will take about one MONTH or more) and MUCH better warranty and super customer service the smart money buys from AixiZ. Sorry for pushing AixiZ so hard but I really like how they treat everybody and me being so close to them has great advantages. And even tho most of thier items are made outside the USA they do pay a lot here in taxes- payroll- ETC that stays in the USA.

Here are to PDF files requested late last night and sent early this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 445 1000 DIODE[1].pdf  

445 ANALOG.pdf  

Last edited by hakzaw1; 09-22-2011 at 09:03. Reason: edit- error made