Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing a show? Where?

reading what buffo wrote on the last post there...
    I`m so glad that i`m living in Norway :lol: :lol:

Take a laserpen (5mW - 600mW) and point it up in the sky, and the police-man\random public dude only says "wow that is So cOoL" :P

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    2) you may draw the ire of the FAA if you have un-terminated beams going up in the air. Note that the FAA couldn't care less about whether you have a CDRH variance for your show or not. They want to be sure you've filled out the proper paperwork that THEY require. This is non-trivial documentation we're talking about!

If you can arrange your show such that the beams aren't going up into the sky, and can't leave the area, then you should be OK. But send a beam into the sky without getting FAA approval, and you'll be in some serious hot water. (And I mean serious...)
    That's what I was wondering about.
    At some point (when I have a bigger laser), I'd like to do a show at one of the major parties here on campus, which would likely involve a good chance of unterminated beams heading out low over metropolitan Boston.

Assuming I could get that cleared by the environmental health and safety people on campus, what kind of red tape would I have to untangle over at the FAA?

Quote Originally Posted by eric343
    Assuming I could get that cleared by the environmental health and safety people on campus, what kind of red tape would I have to untangle over at the FAA?
    Unfortunately, lots. I've never done it, but the people I've spoke with that have all say that it's a monumental pain in the ass. And there's no guarentee that they won't change their minds and pull the plug on the show at the last minute either...

Have a look at this thread on alt.lasers for an idea as to what I'm talking about.

Also, DreamBeamz ought to be able to chime in here with the details surrounding his failed bid to display the Carolina Panther's logo on a building in downtown Charlotte, NC at night... (The CDRH didn't have a problem with it but the local airport did; ultimately they never could get permission to do it despite the fact that the beams were 100% terminated on the building.)

On the other hand, if you manage to get a CDRH variance beforehand, that might help matters. You might want to arrange a visit with the tower folks at the closest airport to your location and discuss the idea in the most general terms. Sort of feel them out for what they want or expect of such an outdoor laser show. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't be a bunch of paranoid dickheads! But that seems to be the exception these days, not the rule...

Adam

Default Re: Doing a show? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3
    :? Now let's say you have all your laser kit in good working order. And you have a nice business card printed up and you think you are ready to do a few shows now and then. What is a good way to get the word out about what you want to do and maintain some control of the party/venue that you will show up to do your show. What about non-profit , indoor shows? Donations accepted? Does one still need all the paperwork? The local show at the Science Center just gives you a ticket for $10 and you take your seat..... 2 hours of Floyd and other songs with a 6 watt white light. And if you stood up at the wrong time you could get personal with all that power at times.They do usher you in and ask that you remain seated. Maybe I worry too much....but don't like the idea of getting fined for something I can keep the safety levels in control. I have read and understand all of their rules. Just wanting to have some fun........and make a little $
    Best way to get gigs, is to show people what you can do. So find out what events are happening, and make friends with the event organizers.
    Tell them, I'm going to do you a favour, and enhance the visual aspects of your show by giving you a lasershow thats wroth $500 dollars, for free.

Do the show, impress the party goers and they will talk about it on forums and to friends.

Next time the promoter does an event, the likelyhood of him wanting lasers will be pretty high since that is what people were chatting about in the reviews; at that time tell him sure you'll do the laser show, typically it costs lets say $1000, but for you ill hook ya up half price

Default Re: Doing a show? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve
    Best way to get gigs, is to show people what you can do. So find out what events are happening, and make friends with the event organizers.
    Tell them, I'm going to do you a favour, and enhance the visual aspects of your show by giving you a lasershow thats wroth $500 dollars, for free.
    Not a good idea to do free shows to attract new customers. Sure, discount the equipment, but charge full price for your labor..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/