Thread: OT-Space

Default OT-Space

This is completely not laser related, however I though it was very neat to watch! Ever wonder what happens to the solid rocket booster after it is ejected from the shuttle?

http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/et...srb_camera.asx

Video is about 12 minutes. Amazing how it goes from sitting on a launch pad in Florida, to space, and then down to the Indian Ocean, in less than 12 minutes....

David

Hmmm, How in the world does the camera survive that kind of heat on reentry??? Is this a real video? or computer simulation?
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

link does not work..

All I can see is a series of still images, and a very slow sequencing at that. Is it supposed to be that way? :?: .

As for the reentry, I'm under the impression the SRB do not go through a reentry. They separate from the orbiter about 8 mins after lift off and follow a ballistic trajectory afterwards, reaching an altitude of around 220.000 ft. Not much altitude nor speed to burn in the atmosphere, I think.

Also, they are recovered in the atlantic about 120 miles from KSC.

But, it's still amazing, 8 mins to reach altitude, 4 mins for free falling and many months for preparations for the next flight :roll:
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

Jkaiser3000;

Not to pick nits, but your times are a little off...

The solid rocket boosters separate from the space shuttle at T+2 minutes, 5 seconds, at an altitude of around 150,000 feet. They continue to coast upward, however, and reach a maximum hight of 220,000 feet. They splash down in the Atlantic ocean 4 minutes and 55 seconds after they separate from the shuttle. Note that this is T+ 7 minutes into the launch, which means the shuttles main engines are still burning and the shuttle is still accelerating when the boosters splash down.

Main Engine Cut-off (MECO) is at T+ 8 minutes (give or take a few seconds).

Adam

Ok, I stand corrected . At least I had the maximum altitud correct :lol: .

nevertheless, I'm still amazed at that piece of machinery. I wish I could fly that thing one day. Oh well, I'm allowed to dream, right? :roll:
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

Yeah - I'd love to take a ride in the shuttle myself. Alas, that won't ever happen!

I admit It's quite the machine though... The turbo pumps on the main engines can empty a swimming pool in under 30 seconds! 400,000 pounds of thrust from an engine that isn't any taller than I am. (Well, if you exclude the nozzle, that is...)

Too bad it's so damn expensive to operate.

Adam

Wow, not sure why I wrote Indian ocean. I can remember doing it, it was very early in the morning and I was only half awake. I do remember typing Idian ocean and for at least two full minutes I was trying to figure out why it didn't look right! Then realized I forgot to add the letter N. I didn't even come to mind that that was not the right ocean all together. Oh well, thanks for the correction!

David