Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vote here on Lasershow tunes

Cool, Was that a lesson in lasershow design?

You have to have the "ideas" first before you can storyboard them out. So now, we see your idea.. I think you wiould be surprised at how a show can flow together with completely different ideas... People get it, as along as the idea can be got quickly enough. Anytime you get into Literal lasershow design, you must be smarter than the viewer or the get Pretty bored, Pretty Quick!

If i was to say, get the Guitar solo section of this song, I would probably choose to NOT have a guitar floating aroudn the screen moving to the solo, but actually deconstruct the music to visually bring out what I wanted the Viewer/Listener to See and hear. Maybe they never heard that Cowbell in the song till i visually pointed it out to them....or the cool background rythmns....

Its all about being smarter than the viewer without rubbin their face in it..you can be TOO smart and that turns them off too.... IMHO
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

Quote Originally Posted by LASER-AD
    Cool, Was that a lesson in lasershow design?
    It did sound a bit didactic, didn't it? :? Ok - sorry for sounding like a preacher.
    You have to have the "ideas" first before you can storyboard them out.
    I agree. And those ideas really should have some common theme, which is what I was asking about. You said (in an earlier post above) that everyone should just do whatever they want with the part of the song they are assigned. My problem with that is that I thought we weren't going to carve up the song into specific assignments until AFTER we had a theme and a storyboard completed.

I agree that we should get some ideas from people first, so we have plenty of them to choose from when trying to select a theme. But once the theme is selected, we still need to decide on individual scenes, and then finally decide on who will do each scene.
    So now, we see your idea.
    Um, actually no. I just threw that out there as an example to illustrate my point. I have several other ideas about the theme. If we decide we want to do a litteral translation of the lyrics, then that's one way to go, and the resulting visuals will be pretty simple to put together.

On the other hand, there are long portions of the song that have no lyrics, and as you said - having a guitar jerk around to the music is pretty lame. But if we decide to do a story theme, then that would be a place where you could have more complex animation, since the lyrics wouldn't be as distracting.
    Anytime you get into Literal lasershow design, you must be smarter than the viewer or the get Pretty bored, Pretty Quick!
    I agree. In fact, my first choice would *not* be to do a litteral translation of the lyrics for exactly this reason. Plus there are LOTS of themes that could be developed that would still work with the "tough enough" concept.

Heck, that ILDA award-winning show about the turtle trying to get across the canyon to eat the large strawberry would probably work with the music and lyrics from "Tough Enough". Some of the comedic timing would be lost, of course, but the overall idea works within the concept of the song.
    deconstruct the music to visually bring out what I wanted the Viewer/Listener to See and hear. Maybe they never heard that Cowbell in the song till i visually pointed it out to them.
    COWBELL? *I* didn't remember a cowbell in that song! Maybe you're on to something there! But I agree with your idea - find hidden or subtle elements in the song and bring them to the forefront, rather than just having some static image spaz and flail to the beat...
    Its all about being smarter than the viewer without rubbin their face in it..you can be TOO smart and that turns them off too.
    Very well put. I've written several scripts for training videos that we use at work, and I've also done some editing. It's easy to get "too clever" and end up loosing your audience in the process. But by the same token, you don't want to bash the audience over the head with the metaphor you've chosen either.

Adam

Hi Guys,

I was thinking we could do a mix of literal interpretation and get more creative during the portions of the song where no lyrics are being sung.
    For example my theme for the Intro and these lyrics
    "
    I would walk two miles on my, hands and knees
    ain't no doubt about it, baby, it's you I aim to please
    I'd wrestle with a lion and a, grizzly bear
    it's my life baby but, I don't care "

I thought perhaps we can start with a caveman theme to begin with as a means of simple direct interpretation . You still have some room for using your Imagination during the guitar riffs.

Perhaps we can use a variety of characters on the evolutionary chain to advance the mental Imagery Implied by the lyrics and interpret them in a comical way.

I have some characters in mind similar to those found in " B.C. " cartoons

What do you think ?

Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

I don't have a good imagination for these things, so I may not be of much help at this stage of the process.

Also, I haven't done any laser show before, so I'm going through a learning curve here . But I'm still in, if you don't mind my sloppy outcome :?

Cowbell?, Are you teasing us? I've heard the song specifically looking for the cowbell, and I can't find it yet ops: . I Think I'm part of the audience that can be, uhmm, "enlightened" :lol:
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

I have cut up the Beam show song for the guys there, would you like i do the same for the Graphic song Rick?
    www.laser-ad.com

Hi Carey,

It looks like some people are working on both beam and graphics shows.
    Member "TL" can't participate right now but he has allocated 2 Gigs disk space and is managing the FTP site. Tks TL.

I don't mind If you volunteer to carve up the turkey, go for it.
    I'd like a confirmation from all participants involved in the graphics lasershow project. Please respond on this thread.
    8)

Rick

Song is cut up into 11nice tidy pieces that follow the song structure. They are in the graphics folder on the ftp... if anyone needs them that is...

Put me down for the guitar solo sections if no one else wants them, i think theres 2 of em....
    www.laser-ad.com

Great ,

Tks Carey

I would like to choose a section, but for doing that I need to know what we're doing first. I don't think I can do any complex graphics or animations, so I would like to choose an easy part.

Not that I want to lay the burden of the complex stuff on you all , but I think there are some that have more advanced software and knowhow than me

cheers
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

I'm hoping to have some time later this week to start looking at all this. I downloaded the mindware software but I haven't tried to install it yet.

Things have been really busy at work these past 3 weeks. (26 hours overtime last week!) And with Tropical Storm Ernesto headed this way, things are probably going to end up in panic mode before the week is out. (I can't believe how worked up people get over these storms...)

Adam