Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vote here on Lasershow tunes

I think I'll take the intro section up to the end of the first vocals I mentioned in an earler email using a caveman character. I haven't listened to the chopped up sections that Carey did yet but it's probably section one through 3 or longer.

Good luck with that storm. Bummer they scrubbed the Atlantis launch.

TTYL
    Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

Thanks...

Looks like it will just be a tropical storm when it hits us (Charleston), but that hasn't stopped people from freaking out.

I agree that it sucks that the shuttle didn't go up. Maybe next week...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    I downloaded the mindware software but I haven't tried to install it yet.
    What is Mindware software?

Jim :?:

---I agree that it sucks that the shuttle didn't go up. Maybe next week...

Can you see it from all the way up there in Charleston, SC? Looks great from here in Jacksonville..

David

Jimbo...

I might have the name wrong; mindjet, mindshare, eh - something like that. It's collaboration software; think Netmeeting, or Groupware, and you've got the idea. I've never used it though. People say it helps you work together with lots of others on a project. I guess we'll see!

David:

You can see them from here if the weather and the timing are perfect. Late evening launches are best. Nothing as impressive as the show from Jacksonville, I'm sure, but still pretty cool. (One of these days I'm going to make the trip to the cape to see a launch up close!)

Adam

Jimbo...

David:

You can see them from here if the weather and the timing are perfect. Late evening launches are best. Nothing as impressive as the show from Jacksonville, I'm sure, but still pretty cool. (One of these days I'm going to make the trip to the cape to see a launch up close!)

Adam
    There's nothing like seeing the launch from the Cape. Wife and I have made the trip a few times. Night launches in particular are the best, lights up the place like daytime! I remember one time we were quite a bit late, and ended up in a very remote area at night, jumped out of the car and watched the launch from probably 20 miles. A few seconds later all the crickets got very quiet, surprisingly about 3-5 seconds before we heard the sound of the launch. Pretty neat stuff! From here in Jacksonville, it looks like somone holding a lighter a few feet away in front of you.

David

Hey Rick...

What software do you use? (I'm guessing Pangolin, but...)

Reason I ask is that as of this moment the only software I've got to put a show together with is the Alphalite software, and that doesn't allow me to sync anything to music.

I played around with the demo version of Mamba Black last night, and I was really impresed with it. I'm probably going to buy it. But the demo version doesn't allow me to save my work, so I'm back where I started.

Assuming that I do get Mamba... I'm guessing that we'd want to export the parts of the show that we do as complete ILDA show sets, right? I mean, Mamba has it's own show format, but I doubt that Pangolin can read it. Likewise, the Mamba software can't read any of the custom Pangolin files either.

If we export the show as a bunch of ILDA frames, it should include the effects that we've added, right? (What I mean is, when you export a show it re-renders each frame, with all effects, to a new ilda-compatible frame and saves it to the file...) So what you end up with is one big honkin' ilda file with a whole shit-load of frames, right?

Does that work for everyone?

Adam

PS: Maybe we ought to start another thread to talk about this project...

Hi Adam,

Yes I'm using Pangolin. I have2 controllers, a Pangolin Pro QM32 and a Pango basic QM2000 .
    I believe it creates one big file when you compile a show using the ILDA format frames and special effects.
    I have no Idea how other controllers create shows and wether they are compatible.
    Carey, you have the most experience what light can you shed on Adam's inquiry ?

Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

I played around with the demo version of Mamba Black last night, and I was really impresed with it. I'm probably going to buy it. But the demo version doesn't allow me to save my work, so I'm back where I started.
    I've got the full version of Mamba Black but its useless sending you a copy because it wont let you save unless you have the USB dongle plugged in
    Otherwise I would send you a copy.

Jim

Jimbo:

Thanks for the offer! Yeah, you need the dongle to do any saving. Oh well, that's just more incentive for me to buy the damn software!

Rick:

I put together about a 50 second clip using the demo version of Mamba Black. Then I called Fred (Astroguy) and talked him through re-entering each and every scene and effect so that he could re-create the exact show on his system. (He has the full version of Mamba including the dongle.)

i did the first 50 seconds of "Hit That", by The Offspring. It turned out really nice, so I wanted to save my progress - thus the call to Fred.

Anyway, Fred saved the show and sent a copy to me. But when you save it as a show, it only saves the timeline information. (File name, scene duration, effects info, draw speed, that sort of thing.) You have to actually have the ilda files present on your own hard drive (and in the correct directories) in order to play the show. You also need to have the music file (obviously).

I asked Fred to safe the show using the "Create Releasable Show" option, and that created one huge honkin' ILDA file. (just over 8 megs compressed) Unfortunately, it did NOT render the efects that were tied to the show. So all the rotations and stuff did not come out. Futhermore, it did not save the draw speed, duration, or frame repeat information. Bottom line - if I had sent you the file it would NOT look the same in your Pangolin software as it did when we played the show with Mamba Black.

This is an issue we need to address, because otherwise we won't be able to share the end result with people that are running different software.

I'm hoping that MechEng3 or some of the other Mamba Black users can help us out here... When I get some time later this weekend I'll start another thread about this issue. (Right now I need to get going - got a dinner cruise to go to!)

Adam