Thread: Need some help tuning

Unhappy Need some help tuning

Hi all.

I wanted to get my scanner's tuned in perfect so after reading manual's and tutorials i went to work, after a while i noticed that LFD and HFD have changed places so following the manual got tricky, finally i managed to get a picture out so i started following the buffo's manual, tuning it back to zero, then starting to tune it up, after a while i got a descent ilda test pattern image, then over to laser media test pattern, not looking that good and i went back and furth, after many many hours the image would collapse. See picture.
    Now i have been trying over and over for some weeks, (yes weeks) and i can't get the galvo's to stay stable i can get the ilda test pattern to look good but not the rest of them.
    So im hoping the expert's can help me out. This is how i have set angle. 1 meter from wall, 0.72 meter wide 0.72 meter high. Should give me 40 degree or +/- 20 degree?
    Running Pangolin QS2 at 30k.
    Since red and blue is misplaced i have turned them off on scanner and software.
    I have also measured the distance from outer square to center and it looks ok +/- 1mm.
    Scanner: Meierlight 1000wm RGB with PT-40K galvo.
    My camera isn't the best to take pictures of the laser, but i think i got it all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20092011053.jpg  

20092011059.jpg  

20092011070.jpg  

30082011036.jpg  

You can't tune your scanners at 40 degrees. That is way, way too wide. Re-read the first part of my tutorial where it tells you about adjusting the scan agle BEFORE you start tuning.

You want to be well below 8 degrees optical (+/- 4 degrees) when you are tuning. Otherwise, you will *NEVER* get your scanners in tune, and you may actually damage them if you run the ILDA test pattern that wide for that long. (The ILDA test pattern is not designed to be scanned at maximum scan angle)

If you are measuring the size of the pattern at 1 meter away from the scanners, the image should be no more than 14 centimeters tall. (And it will make your job easier if the image is less than 11 centimeters tall at that distance)

Also, it's easier to tune your scanners if the image is farther away from you. (Like across the room at least) That makes the pattern larger so it is easier to see the overshoot and undershoot. So set your scan angle by measuring the size up close, but then project the pattern onto a wall as far away as is reasonably possible. Then start tuning.

Adam

Yeah, uhm maybe i misswrote that . Iam using the test image in QS2, i think it's called "ILDA Test pattern B" So the image i took picture of is +\- 4 degree. But the big square is +\- 20 degree.
    Also i am using the standard ilda image at +\- 4 degree, like it says in tutorial, but for some reason color shifting is different between them, not sure wich one to trust.
    Think i have understood the concept of angle, but please correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ProToZyKo View Post
    Yeah, uhm maybe i misswrote that . Iam using the test image in QS2, i think it's called "ILDA Test pattern B" So the image i took picture of is +\- 4 degree. But the big square is +\- 20 degree.
    OK, If that's the case, then you should be fine. I didn't see evidence of the outside square in your pictures though, which lead me to believe you were using the standard ILDA test pattern, rather than the modified version that has the large outer square.
    Also i am using the standard ilda image at +\- 4 degree, like it says in tutorial, but for some reason color shifting is different between them, not sure which one to trust.
    I would use the standard pattern (the one without the large outer square). Though I've never noticed any problems with color shift between the two patterns...

Adam

A new go today, now im tuning around 5 meters away from image, looks good to me but image will still collapse when running images full size.
    I have some better pictures aswell, and i have taken picture of standard test pattern and the one with QS2, see difference in top line.
    Also im wondering if the "Laser media test pattern" is supposed to be viewed at full angle or 8 degree?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21092011077.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	27502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21092011081.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	27503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21092011083.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	27504

Quote Originally Posted by ProToZyKo View Post
    image will still collapse when running images full size.
    Im not talking about ilda test pattern's here, but the "xmas tree" cue from QS2, just to name one.