Thread: Laser crystals

Default Laser crystals

Does any of you know a reseller for crystals? I'm thinking of trying to build my own dpss laser. Most for fun and to learn how to do it. And If I could get a working laser from it that would be cool
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

I've got lots of laser crystals - what are you looking for?

Casix sells complete DPSS kits with all the crystals and mirrors ready to go. Problem is actually buying something from them - they don't make it easy.

It would be cool to make a woking blue unit but I think I'll have to learn how to walk before I try to run.

I've looked at some kits with glued crystals but what I've read about them they can turn gray if your unlucky and put to much power through them. I dont know if it's just low quality or if it's a general fact.

An Nd:YVO4 and KTP would do it I think.

Is it to much to run 5 W of 808 nm in a crystal like that? I've not found much information about the middle range. All I've read about is about 100mW output or 10W out. The electronics I think I can sort out without to much problems.
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

I think you need to be careful with 10W of IR light :roll:

Your right. I dont think sunglasses will cut it.

I have some old cctv cameras with good quiality picture and a monitor that I think IŽll use. That in a box of some sort so no stray beams can be directed to my eyes would do just fine. And the cameras can see IR light. Makes it a bit easier to see whats going on with the pump diode.

here are some appropriate safety glasses, just for reference:

http://www.rli.com/products/eyeweard...m=E%2DG%2D3982

Default Casix DPSS kits for homebrew green laser

Hi Groover,

If I recall correctly Casix was bought by JDS Uniphase and have a US distributor in California. Check the web site for contact names and location.

The kits they with the bonded crystals are for low power so If you pump them too hard you will damage the glue. Also If you pump KTP too high you may get Gray Tracking aberrations in the crystal which is what you were refering to earlier. LBO crystals do not suffer from that problem and have the highest power density than any of the NLO crystals.

Good Luck
    The camera is a good Idea for safe viewing.

Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

the newer Casix composite crystals are held together on the sides by glass splints so the beam doesn't go through the glue. I guess the limit now is when thermal expansion in the Nd:YVO4 cracks the crystals apart.