Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jem K1 or Unique 2.1 Hazer?

Default Jem K1 or Unique 2.1 Hazer?

Well...on the last week of waiting before i wanted to buy the unique 2.1 i also now got a "unique" offer on the Jem K1 hazer.

I hope some people have seen both and can tell me about their findings.
    (Hobbybob if you read this, dont worry il still order your fluid as i have other things to order at that site)

The k1 hazer is 850 euro and was a demo unit.
    The Unique 2.1 costs 777 euro and is brand new.

The Jem K1 cleans itself when you cut power - The Unique 2.1 can be cleaned by manually starting that procedure in the menu...
    The Jem K1 is MUCH better in using fluid. it can run 17 hours on FULL output. with a 2.5 liter capacity - The Unique 2.1 can do 2.5 hours on 2.5 liters on full output. Fluid prices are as good as desame.
    The Jem K1 weights a MASSIVE 21,5k! - The Unique 2.1 only weights 8,7k. Both are weights without fluid. I probaly wont be able to carry that K1 on my own wich sucks alot.
    The Jem K1 can output 5000m3 per minute at max output wich is really huge. i have no idea how the unique 2.1 stands in this but this will probaly not matter that much.
    Both units are silent at low output.

But...ofcource quality of the haze is the biggest question. How long do they hang, how transparant are they, do they smell ect.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 09-21-2011 at 11:39.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    The Unique 2.1 can do 2.5 hours on 2.5 liters.
    Is this figure correct?, i'm sure mine does much more than that. Having said that, I don't think i've ever run it on full output. You'd need a hell of a size hall to warrant that sort of haze delivery.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

yes, that figure is correct and is for full output only.

ive editted post 1.

You don't need to haze heavily. Last time I was at Jem's you couldn't even see the haze with the lights on and yet the beams were lit perfectly. From memory the Unique was set on something like level 4 or 5 out of 99 possible output levels. Ok it was a small room, but even so, haze doesn't need to be heavy, just present.

I've seen the Unique on many occasions and think you'll struggle to find a better water based hazer. Just my 2 cents though and you may find people who recommend the Jem. Both are respected brands. Personally I'd be buying the Unique though but in fairness I can't say I've ever seen the Jem.

BTW haze fluid smells just like smoke fluid to me.

I've been reading a lot of negative reviews on the Unique, but I can't find anything positive or negative on the K1. The biggest complaints on the Unique are that they suck fluid like crazy, break down a lot, and the hang time of the haze isn't spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDpaint View Post
    I've been reading a lot of negative reviews on the Unique, but I can't find anything positive or negative on the K1. The biggest complaints on the Unique are that they suck fluid like crazy, break down a lot, and the hang time of the haze isn't spectacular.
    I have heard about the fluid drinking as well, 2.5 hours vs 17 hours isa big difference. But i didnt heard alot about unique's breaking down. Hang time isnt really bothering me that much.
    But about the k1 there is simply no review at all...
    Almost zero info on the internet about that k1 hazer...

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    From memory the Unique was set on something like level 4 or 5 out of 99 possible output levels.
    It was actually set on the lowest possible setting (number 1 of 99) for the haze output. It was the fan that was set to number 5

As I already mentioned, If you're doing regular indoor venues I cannot see a time when you'd need 100% output. I've hazed a 1,000 capacity venue and even then it was only set to number 50 on the haze output and 75 on the fan. I guess if the air-con or extractors were working on full tilt it would be a different story though

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for the correction Jem, knew it was something like that. At least I got the 5 bit right. Start to worry about your memory when you reach my age and I know mine isn't good!

@Led never heard of reliability issues so thanks for bringing that to my attention. The Blue room has discussion about the K1 as well as the Unique and I know Borg has already been there. As with any hazer though, I wonder if reliability is down to reliability or abuse? I mean how many commercial users go for months or years of day in day out usage without ever cleaning the machine? Usually anything with precision engineering is more prone to dirt failure if not kept clean but better than lower toleranced products if they are. That said, I don't know what the issues are / aren't with Unique and so its best perhaps to ask on the Blue Rooms where reliability was mentioned. As I said above, both Jem and Unique are quality products, so any choice really is going to be down to researching user feedback. That's a very good price on the Jem though, looking around. I've yet to see it much under the £1,100 mark.

To be fair, yes, it certainly could have been abuse. Several of the reviews that mentioned reliability were guys who were touring, so there's a big difference between using one for a weekly gig and being on the road non-stop and all the wear and tear that entails.

This is all I could find on the K1. A bit sparse, but better than nothing:

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=31592

Surprising that there's so little as it's been out for a few years now.