Thread: Constant Image

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Constant Image

Dumb question perhaps but, is it hard on equipment to leave the same frame displayed still for an hour and a half? I'm doing an event for Special Olympics and thinking about just putting the Olympic Rings frame on the ceiling or near the top of a wall for an hour and a half.

No it's not.
    As long as you make sure it has sufficient blanking points and a normal point spacing.

^^what he said.

But don't you think a stationary frame for 90mins would be rather dull ?
    I would suggest adding at least some subtle fx, such as a slow oscillating rotation along the y-axis, with perspective.
    Maybe some promotional messages or logos of sponsors could add to the event.
    Showing the capabilities of your projector to large public, may result in other 'gigs'.

It's a moot point....maybe. Even though they are endorsed by the Olympic Committee, they're not allowed to use the Rings. She sent me their logo and I'm going to see what I can do with Trace It to make it a frame and see if it looks any good. If it does, I might take Barts suggestion on adding a subtle movement. Or.... I'll just scrap the idea since I've got more than enough other details to deal with on this event.

Their logo has too many points - something like 3100, to where the flicker is objectionable. Especially if any of these kids (or adults for that matter) have issues with flashing light. I haven't been able to get it to smooth out without cranking the scanners up over 40,000 which I DON't want to do. I may try to play with it some more if I have time but, I think it was a good idea that might go in the "fail" category.

Just post the logo, 90% of the uploaded challenges are tackled by the experts here.

Hey Brad,
    If I were doing this, I would use the software's size settings to shrink the output size somewhat (degrees of galvo swing) then position the scanner as physically far away from the screen as possible. That would take some duty cycle out of the mix. You can listen to the galvos and tell if they are stressed to a reasonable degree. A smaller scan that very slowly moves around a large area will require much less average strain than one that is continually full size. That's cool of you to offer support to an event like that.
    Cheers!
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Their logo has too many points - something like 3100, to where the flicker is objectionable. Especially if any of these kids (or adults for that matter) have issues with flashing light. I haven't been able to get it to smooth out without cranking the scanners up over 40,000 which I DON't want to do. I may try to play with it some more if I have time but, I think it was a good idea that might go in the "fail" category.
    If you want the nice big angle and want to be sure to not stress your scanners out, use 2 projectors and divide the graphic projection in 2 seperate drawings, and leave it on

How cool would a 12 projector rasterscanning show be ?
    Linea extravaganza !

@ PJ - I considered that. After seeing it done on a wedding video someone posted here, I thought that might be a good way to do it but, really there wasn't time to experiment. That's actually a common problem. I'm too busy running all the other aspects of an event that I'm not marketing any type of lighting to the clients because of the time and set up hassle.

I may go ahead and post the logo for anyone to tweak and tell me what they did to smooth it out for the future. The event was last night and it was their "Night of Heros". We had about 340 people and it was a very elaborate, decorating intensive, cocktail and hors d'ourves style event, in addition to their theater style program. Great night and the client was in tears over how nice we made it for the athletes and their families. I never got the logo looked at again since it was non-stop setup. (Plus dealing with vendors, food, the AV company, staff, their volunteers, etc.) I'm kind of the swirling hub that everything revolves around and, predominately "put out fires" and bark out instructions so, there's little time to mess with lasers or anything where there is a learning curve.