Thread: Order your diodes in the summer months!

Default Order your diodes in the summer months!

For you that do not have ESD training: Sensitive electronic devices are less suseptible to ESD (electro-static-discharge) which can kill an electronic device (including laser diodes) in low and dry humidity ; it is best to handle said devices in the summer-spring-fall months (high humidity) due to the natural dissipation of ESD . As soon as the months occur of dry humidity- (e.g. -getting shocks from walking on a carpet and touching a door-knob and getting shocked) , it is best not to touch sensitive electronic devices unless you are working on a bench with static dissapative mats and wrist ground-straps. (I'll try to revise this post better when I'm well rested and not .. but I'm sure someone can elaborate on ESD precautions. I don't know if this topic has been covered here before, but it's a necessary lesson .
    Cheerz-
    -S

i usually get small shocks when i leave work and get into the car.

i have also noticed that when it is raining or when humidity is high i don't get these shocks.

so, whenever i get into the car without getting a shock, i know it is a good day to harvest a couple of open can diodes from their sleds

simple enough even for me
    "its called character briggs..."

good thing I live in Miami then? lol

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    For you that do not have ESD training: Sensitive electronic devices are less suseptible to ESD (electro-static-discharge) which can kill an electronic device (including laser diodes) in low and dry humidity ; it is best to handle said devices in the summer-spring-fall months (high humidity) due to the natural dissipation of ESD . As soon as the months occur of dry humidity- (e.g. -getting shocks from walking on a carpet and touching a door-knob and getting shocked) , it is best not to touch sensitive electronic devices unless you are working on a bench with static dissapative mats and wrist ground-straps. (I'll try to revise this post better when I'm well rested and not .. but I'm sure someone can elaborate on ESD precautions. I don't know if this topic has been covered here before, but it's a necessary lesson .
    Cheerz-
    -S
    For many the advise is bad, as refrigeration A/C used heavily in summer dries the air!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    good thing I live in Miami then? lol
    Ha! I´m not bad either... living in the amazon with at least 85% humidity I almost breath water LOL

I just posted this on a whim last nite, to maybe help somebody.. even if it's just 1 person it'll be worth it. 1 thing during the many esd training sessions that I have had to attend thru the years that I learned is that it doesn't even take a shocking voltage to destroy a semiconductor. 50 Volts or less (really, anything above the component's rated voltage) can destroy it, if the current is built-up enough. You don't even feel it.

well, i hadn't thought of it this way.

and you sure are right. thanks!!
    "its called character briggs..."

Living in Cairns here also helps with that .. Low humidity?? What's this??

As with many semis, the damage may not be initially apparent ...

In the U.S. most of the states that are in the snow regions in the winter are at a higher risk of ESD related damage to components, thats because the cold air condenses the moisture out of the air- cold air can hold less humidity making for drier air and allowing for higher Electrostatic/triobelectric charges to develop. However, in places like Seattle/Portland, areas West of the Cascade mountains, winter is an excellent time to do anything that requires handling/manufacture of electrostatic sensitive devices.Thats because it rains from October until May,and theres so much moisture in everything that you would be at a higher risk of moss growing on your diodes and lenses than ESD damage occuring. I cannot say how it is in other parts of the south/eastern states, but on the far West Coast, winter is pretty wet.
    Will there be three phase!!!!