Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jump ship? Or not...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Advise is always dangerous to give and receive. Without a great deal more info. I can't begin to suggest a specific course. With those disclaimers aside you might want to look at this from a tangent. You're in a enviable position; a management level position which you relatively recently acquired, yet your skills/knowledge are significant enough that you were approached with this other opportunity. Not bad! I am assuming that this is a simple alternative, and you have not been asked to contribute financially to this start up, nor are there any non-compete restrictions hanging over you. If that is the case you may have a bargaining chip with your current employer to negotiate for an increase in salary or some modification in your responsibilities. Alternatively, would this new opportunity be of interest as an acquisition for your company? Would they permit you to consult without cutting your ties or biasing them against you? Could you take a sabbatical without prejudice and what is your fallback if as you say they are "highly likely to fail"? How pressing is your decision? Will you still have the opportunity to pursue this if you wait to get more experience as well as see how the new company progresses? Consider the failure modes with both courses; success will take of itself. Don't focus on how nice it will be when...
    Good Luck!
    Seconded. I can't give you advice. I can tell you my story. When faced with almost wanting to quit the new job because I am used to getting my hands dirty, not being quasi-management. I hate setting in meetings about "efficient use of powerpoint..." I'm not fond of being a trainee for the next TWO YEARS, when I'm 41. However, I am fond of the decent paycheck and the job security of now being in a manufacturing industry that actually makes something, instead of a service industry. My new boss, knowing I was troubled, knowing I hate the hour commute had this to say:

" I know your frustrated . I know your considering leaving. I know now that your employed again, finding something else would be easier. I know you wonder how you will have a family on this schedule. I would not like to see you leave. However, There is NO right or wrong choice, when you are not facing a crisis. (long pause and a smile here) If its that bad, I will support you finding a place where your happy. However, I urge you to take the time to consider what you would be doing more closely."

He had a point.

So unless you are in trouble, think carefully. There is NO right or wrong in this job choice, you probably win or loose either way.

Be cautious however. Why do I say that, you have presented a uncertain contradiction in your post.

Be humble. "Be like a child" (Quote from the Good Book)

Factoid:
    Being a entrepreneur sucks away your time, I assure you. You will NOT have short hours, you will not see the family that much. You might as well just send the wife the check and move into the plant. I know, I've consulted to enough of them.

The ones who are at peace, get their wives active in the community, to keep the relationships strong. Of they have wives that understand, and can manage the freedom to make their own day to day decisions. Most of them I have met have had one or more companies TAKEN from them, once they made a profit.

Work is work. You want the big bucks, you go to school, spend long hours at the plant, and you pay your dues/do your time on the line jobs. If you think the grass is greener, remember your a senior engineer. You will have to act like one and have the same or similar duties and hours at plant "B".

I sent you a PM with what I cannot say in public about the "emerging market", as we must call it at work. Its not a happy situation, especially with regards to electronics.

Ask if the wife/kids can come with you on the shorter trips, My company allows that.

I too, face three week periods on the road. I wonder how I will find a girlfriend that would accept that... Then I realized she would want the paycheck,, and benefits, and time to herself. If I can't find one smart enough to see that, I've found a loser anyways. I know its bad advice to tell you to ask your wife. But I suggest you ask her what she thinks.. That is what she is there for, I'm told. Having never married, I would not know...

BTW< It sucks to be a unemployed older white male in most western countries right now. That much I can say is truth, not advice. One and a half years of setting around broke was not fun.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-26-2011 at 16:18.

What Steve said... After just getting a job again in my field of choice after two years of wandering, stick with it right now move your DSP need to produce to a nice laser related project .

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Wow, a lot of awesome replies. Most of you are concerned about the same things as I am, if the new gig falls through it could be tough to land yet another gig.

My kids are all grown up, the youngest is 16 at busy at school. I could take my wife on business trips, but I don't think my mistress would appreciate that!!! Just kidding...

Hmmm, food for serious thought. I have been asked to visit the new employer again on Thursday to have a sneak peak at some of their secrets. I'll keep a balanced head and try not to think with my emotions too much.

Thanks guys, your stories and wisdom are much appreciated!

My two cents........(what you said)----> "China are building the equivalent of 2 x Perth cities every month! "

This is what they are building tho.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ely-empty.html

Sounds like I should shitcan my tech job & move to Australia!
    Will there be three phase!!!!

What Adam just said...

take that drive an put it into a great laser idea...

I have a few to share - that I couldn't do if my life depended on it- if you're short on ideas, but I'd think you have plenty swimming around too.

keep making music too. you do that well...

Well, I visited the new "gig" last week and had a good look at their new tech. Pretty cool, orders for 450 Million dollars in the wings...

I spent 2 hours tonight carefully drafting my resignation letter, after reading it back I freaked and deleted it! Why can't I have both jobs?
    This space for rent.

If there is no conflict of interest why not try a 3 month sabbatical ?
    Or are you not entitled to anything like that yet ?
    Most established companies have some sort of "unpaid leave" programs available. As long as you aren't going to be working against them in some way there should be no problems.
    Your current employer might find it beneficial to allow you to find out what is going on elsewhere. If you don't leave the current employer it will make you a much better employee.
    If you do leave, then it is better for them to find a more suitable replacement.
    -And if the new position fails, who says that the old company won't still be looking for a properly trained replacement ?

I agree with the happiness part of a job.
    For 25 years I've worked nothing but desperation jobs to pay the bills. All I've ended up is broken, tired, and angry with a questionable work character. (My ethics are still good though. I'm just not fun to work around or with.)
    Outside of work I'm a lot of fun and my friends hate doing things without me. (They often cancel plans if I won't go.)
    Being unhappy in a job eventually results in you not having the job anymore ! Your subconscious mind will "guide" you to the exit. It's just a matter of time.
    I was unemployed and wiped out for 5 years. I have nothing from all those crap jobs that I can put on a resume. (Ended up fighting just about all for unpaid wages or compensation or something ! Won every time. Lousy employers aren't worth working for.)
    I wish you the best and hope that it works out for you. I have never had the chances to get ahead.
    Don't think of it as resigning. You are just moving forward. Change is the only way to advance.