Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB3-QS Power Requirements

Default FB3-QS Power Requirements

My laptop has 4 USB ports. When I run Quickshow, I use them as follows:

1. Korg nanoKontrol
    2. FB3 #1
    3. FB3 #2.
    4. Enttec DMX

I am thinking of adding a 3rd FB3. Might I need to add a powered USB hub, or would a 2-way splitter do?

theres no such thing as a splitter... you either have a powered hub or unpowered (bus powered) hub

if you use a bus powered hub and plug too many things into it windows will notify you that the available power on that port has been exceeded

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    theres no such thing as a splitter...
    No? What's this then? I realise it's an unpowered hub too but "splitter" seems to be a valid term for such inline extensions. *shrugs*

you either have a powered hub or unpowered (bus powered) hub

if you use a bus powered hub and plug too many things into it windows will notify you that the available power on that port has been exceeded
    Hence my question. Which really translates to "given what I already run off the ports, might an extra FB3 be too much?". Which might require more info than I can gather (such as the PSU specs in my laptop). But if other people run with such setups then I'm probably ok. N'est-ce pas?
    Last edited by smokeAndMirrors; 09-25-2011 at 02:32.

like it says in the description its a hub

power for usb has nothing to do with the laptop/laptop PSU etc.. its all in the spec

USB spec says ports should have at least 500mA available... USB power is spec'd in "units" 100mA/unit... USB port should have 5 units available... a low power USB device (like a bus powered hub) use 1 unit... a high power device (ex external hd) uses all 5 units (500mA - realistically they actually draw more but thats neither here nor there)

the FB3SE specs say 100-300mA current draw... figure the QS should be about the same... so its kind of hard to call... the hub itself is going to draw some current (probably like 100mA at the most)...

I'd think you should be fine, worst case your out the cost of the hub which shouldn't cost you much

like it says in the description its a hub

power for usb has nothing to do with the laptop/laptop PSU etc.. its all in the spec

USB spec says ports should have at least 500mA available... USB power is spec'd in "units" 100mA/unit... USB port should have 5 units available... a low power USB device (like a bus powered hub) use 1 unit... a high power device (ex external hd) uses all 5 units (500mA - realistically they actually draw more but thats neither here nor there)

the FB3SE specs say 100-300mA current draw... figure the QS should be about the same... so its kind of hard to call... the hub itself is going to draw some current (probably like 100mA at the most)...

I'd think you should be fine, worst case your out the cost of the hub which shouldn't cost you much
    Cheers flecom, that's helpful stuff!

no worries

I think you should be fine, USB is generally pretty forgiving... like I said, its spec'd at 500mA max but most of the portable 2.5" USB drives draw ~750mA

regardless I would like to know if it works, so make sure to report back

So you are saying your sound card DAC will have the same calibration for size and color, if you are on battery or plugged into wall supply. I have not found a laptop yet that it doesn't shift on when you switch between the two.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    So you are saying your sound card DAC will have the same calibration for size and color, if you are on battery or plugged into wall supply. I have not found a laptop yet that it doesn't shift on when you switch between the two.
    thats something totally different...

when I say USB power I mean the amount of current a USB port can deliver to whatever is plugged into it is specified by the USB spec itself

I have not noticed my image changing from battery to AC power on a laptop but I will play with that, I have several laptops I can try that with... but it should not change significantly... if it is something else is is happening that probably should not be

most USB ports go directly to the south bridge, so really nothing should change between battery and AC power

thats something totally different...

when I say USB power I mean the amount of current a USB port can deliver to whatever is plugged into it is specified by the USB spec itself

I have not noticed my image changing from battery to AC power on a laptop but I will play with that, I have several laptops I can try that with... but it should not change significantly... if it is something else is is happening that probably should not be

most USB ports go directly to the south bridge, so really nothing should change between battery and AC power
    Interesting, I always figured that is why you needed to tune for your machine with the max.wav as the voltage not amperage shifted, perhaps im lucky with more odd ball equipment that doesnt act right.
    leading in trailing technology

max.wav?

the amperage should not shift, and really the voltage should not shift to the point its noticeable either but I suppose its entirely possible