Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHOWWX from Woot

Quote Originally Posted by RonZ View Post
    The SHOWWX+ is supposed to have a brighter output (15 ansi lumens) compared to the SHOWWX (10 ansi lumens). Anybody think that they get the extra output simply by turning up the drive current on the LDs? If so what are the chances that the adjustment can be made by meer mortals. My guess is that it's encoded in the firmware and probably not adjustable, but just wondering.
    That was my guess also after looking at it on the scope. It looks like they are doing about 65% at full blast level. The+ is probably the same optical engine with new electronics for hdmi. The + will be the last to use the funky green. After that they will all be DI greens.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I can't see as the new version will be that much brighter in real life. Aren't lumens perceived logarithmically to the human eye? If so, an extra 5 lumens isn't going to make that much difference. I suppose it looks like they've made it much brighter for their advertising though.

The + will be the last to use the funky green. After that they will all be DI greens.
    What is the green at the moment, DPSS?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem,

No, It is a frequency doubled 1060nm DBR Semiconductor diode using a periodically poled MgO-doped lithium niobate (PPMgLN) waveguide in a compact single-pass
    configuration. The crystal has a heater to match the wavelength of the 1060nm pump diode.
    Instead of 808===1064===532 dpss. It starts with a 1060 diode and directly doubles that to 530nm. The neat thing is because it doesn't need yag stage you can modulate it fast unlike a dpss.

chad

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    It is a frequency doubled 1060nm DBR Semiconductor diode using a periodically poled MgO-doped lithium niobate (PPMgLN) waveguide in a compact single-pass configuration.
    ...or "funky" for short

Wow, that's really interesting. Pity this technology hasn't been scaled up for us guys to use in our projectors. Having said that, we'll probably have DI diodes within a couple of years rendering even this technology out of date

Be sure to keep us up to date on progress Chad, i'm enjoying reading and following your exploits

Cheers

Jem

Jem,

No, It is a frequency doubled 1060nm DBR Semiconductor diode using a periodically poled MgO-doped lithium niobate (PPMgLN) waveguide in a compact single-pass
    configuration. The crystal has a heater to match the wavelength of the 1060nm pump diode.
    Instead of 808===1064===532 dpss. It starts with a 1060 diode and directly doubles that to 530nm. The neat thing is because it doesn't need yag stage you can modulate it fast unlike a dpss.

chad
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Got mine Saturday. Tore into the box like a pack of rabid wolves, didn't bother with the battery just plugged in the power supply.
    Plugged it into my iPhone and played with the video for about 1/2 hour. Video looks like a a first gen mems laser display not great, really dim, but for what it is (a stepping stone) looks great.
    Think I have the green pretty much figured out. Next step is to ditch the electronics and fire up the module by itself...
    wow that beam isn't too bad at all!!!

this would be cool for a tiny handheld laser projector... would be great when working on shows, just project it on your desk or something...

too cool

Technically you could rip out all it's driver circuitry and figure out how to control the MEMS directly. I assume they just use electromagnetic coils to throw the mirrors around, wouldn't be too hard to get them running from a DAC I wouldn't think.

Things, nope can't do it. It is designed to be a resonant scanner in one axis. It is also not magnetic, it is electrostatic.

chad

Things, nope can't do it. It is designed to be a resonant scanner in one axis. It is also not magnetic, it is electrostatic.

chad
    so any hope for just modulating the lasers?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    so any hope for just modulating the lasers?
    Yes. Red and blue no biggie. Green not so much. I know it is doable but going to require some tweaking to make happen.

chad