Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does "first contact" spray work?

Default How does "first contact" spray work?

Is it 100% fluid or is it also usable on vertical glass and lenses?(will it drip of or stick to it)
    Just wondering this before i purchase...
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

First contact isn't a spray. It comes in a small bottle with an integrated brush as part of the bottle cap.

It very easy to use on lenses set at any angle as the liquid is reasonably viscous.

You're worrying about nothing , first contact is an excellent product. Yes, it is quite expensive, but a small bottle will last a long time.

Hope this helps

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Get the red version, it has little bit of red dye that makes it a little easier to see it once applied. Same cost from memory.

I can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Tip: don't leave it around if you have teenage daughters, they may think it's nail polish lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Get the red version, it has little bit of red dye that makes it a little easier to see it once applied. Same cost from memory.

I can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Tip: don't leave it around if you have teenage daughters, they may think it's nail polish lol.
    im 21 years of age
    but thanks.

also thanks to you Jem, for the clear answer. i ordered a bottle of first contact for the dichro's and galvo's. the red colored version wich was about 2GBP more expensive.

You're very welcome

Glad I could help.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Just to clear things up First Contact can be purchased in larger containers with a spray adaptor. I dont sell this as it does not suit our use for what is traditionally small optics. Its ideally suited to things such as telescope reflectors and is sprayed on in an even coat that means NO contact with the surface at all from a cleaning implement - just the film of polymer.
    I can get this if there are any budding astronomers who have a use for it - just drop me an email

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Tip: don't leave it around if you have teenage daughters, they may think it's nail polish lol.
    Another Tip:

Don't leave it in the glovebox in your car on a hot day, otherwise the bottle may explode. (Speaking from personal experience)

Off topic slightly. When I first heard of First Contact, this image sprang to mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeencounters1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	27600

more like this:

they have alot of W's in those lasers, they cut through enterprises!
    And they are all mine mine Hence my username

But a serious question: How long do i need to dry that first contact stuff or will it be obvious when its ready to remove?
    then i just get a piece of tape and pull the film off that way?

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    But a serious question: How long do i need to dry that first contact stuff or will it be obvious when its ready to remove?
    then i just get a piece of tape and pull the film off that way?
    I have found that the longer you leave it the easier it is to remove. It usually dries fairly quickly as it is solvent based, a few minutes if you're in a hurry. If it doesn't come away easily first time, leave it a bit longer. If i'm cleaning the optics in my projector I usually apply the stuff on one evening and remove it the next evening

Yes, just stick a bit of a sticky lable (or use adhesive tape) to one edge and gently pull, it should lift the first Contact coating with it and leave your optic perfectly clean

Jem