Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeler: Diode housing to suit 3,8mm diodes?

Oh. Well, given that I already have that diode, and it's an OSRAM after all, I feel like a big dolt for ordering an OSRAM from o-like to compare. It looks like I'll be comparing it to itself. Btw, the OSRAM I harvested from a pico projector some time back, lased fairly high. Above 455 by my best efforts to estimate.

1) The OP referenced ebay, but I see now that this was actually Rayfoss as well. Is there a current source for the Opnext?

2) Do you know of any 3.8mm housings? My previous 3.8mm housings have had to be custom made. Is there an Aixiz-like 3.8 housing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    Oh. Well, given that I already have that diode, and it's an OSRAM after all, I feel like a big dolt for ordering an OSRAM from o-like to compare. It looks like I'll be comparing it to itself. Btw, the OSRAM I harvested from a pico projector some time back, lased fairly high. Above 455 by my best efforts to estimate.
    I measured one of them to be at 448nm, at around 17C.

1) The OP referenced ebay, but I see now that this was actually Rayfoss as well. Is there a current source for the Opnext?
    That was my question ;-) Indeed I'd like to systematically check as many diodes as possible.

2) Do you know of any 3.8mm housings? My previous 3.8mm housings have had to be custom made. Is there an Aixiz-like 3.8 housing yet?
    I'd like to know too! In particular, since the diode is so tiny, it seems pretty hard to get a good thermal contact. Recall that a power of roughly 0.6 Watt needs to be dissipated (120mA x 5V), which is quite a lot! There is this little sleeve on the front side of the disk which prevents a large contact area, so pressing the diode against a piece of metal does not seem to provide a good thermal coupling. So the thermal coupling better comes from the 1mm thick boundary of the disk. That''s how the press-fit of commercial mounts work. But this is quite hard to do with hobby tools, at least for me. Thus I preferred soldering.

Interesting. Mine was the PL T4. I didn't have a spectrometer at the time, but I did have a diffraction grating, and two other wavelengths (a typical "445", and a 473 DPSS). The 457 was an estimate, but certainly the diffraction suggested 455 or higher. The wildcard is of course that I didn't know for certain what the typical "445" I compared it to was actually lasing at. Here's the grating image:
    http://laserpointerforums.com/attach...5-22.10.13.jpg

Over the summer, Avenetexpress commented that they expected to have the Opnext for sale by October, at around $200. It doesn't look lik that has happened, but peraps it still will shortly.

My most recent 3.8mm diodes were housed in some fantastic copper modules that PontiacG5 CNC'd over at LPF. I would have ZERO hesitation recommending them, except that I haven't been able to get a hold of him in a week or so. However, they're phenominal modules. Pretty much perfect clones of Aixiz modules, but in copper, and for 3.8mm. If he re-emerges, I'm going to order a few more.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/12...les-66656.html

mounting these diodes is really no problem, simply get a aluminum standoff (1/4" OD), drill out the inside using a 3.8mm screwmachine drill bit. Now drill out the back of your laser housing to accept the 1/4" standoff, press it into the rear and cut it off flush ,file it flush and insert you diode. Ive had no problem running the reds and blue diodes.

if you cant find the correct drill bit, buy the standard US size drill bit??? i forget the size now, the one that is slightly larger 3.8mm and then lightly grind the OD of the drill to reduce the dia to 3.8mm .............

Hey Dave, did you ever go ahead and have some 3.8mm diode mounts made up?

FYI
    AixiZ has 3.8 mm copper blank modules FS(& in stock) made by pontiacg5- same ones rhd was talking about. Comes with all you get with a regular brass Aixiz module. Plastic lens, spring, front lens piece and back part. Only the diode mount is copper.