Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Diode housing to suit 3,8mm diodes?

Default Feeler: Diode housing to suit 3,8mm diodes?

For these diodes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-OP...#ht_2566wt_905

Thoughts? Any interest?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Hi Dave,

I assume Displacer got in contact with you about the 3.8mm diode housing option.

I'll send you a SW file with the dimensions I used to make a 3.8mm version of your mount.

This was to suit my Nichia NDB7242E 50mW blue. The only difference that would effect the mounting is the Nichias heat sink is 1.0mm +-0.1mm thick and this Opnext unit is 1.2mm +-0.1mm.

I machined a 3.97mm bore for the heatsink using a 5/32 slotdrill. That was the closest I could get without getting a custom tool ground.

It's good to know this Opnext diode is available. I was sweating only having one spare Nichia.

After comparing the specs, the Opnext is better! typical divergence of 8.5deg and 18deg where the nichia is 10deg and 37deg.

Hey I'm in!

I'll buy one!

@ kitatit

What kind of beam specs/power are you geting with these after collimation/correction?

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    @ kitatit

What kind of beam specs/power are you geting with these after collimation/correction?
    Hi Solarfire,

I haven't had a lot of experience quantifying beam specs but I just did a quick test. Here are some details.

• Driver used-
      Die4drive Pro
    • Current -
      116mA
    • Ambient temp-
      22deg C
    • Collimation -
      mccarrot aspheric coated for blue.
    • Correction-
      none.

Measured output was 79mW

Here is a comparison against an Opnext HL6385DG 150mw 642nm red using a mccarrot aspheric coated for red.

At 2m red is about 5-6mm roundish spot and blue is about 4mm round spot. At 11m red is about 12mmx6mm and the blue is about 13mmx4mm.

I've been told they can comfortably do more but I've been a bit chicken to push them when only having one spare.

A combination of these two look pretty good for a mini projector for proofing shows as the graphics will only be projected on a wall 2-3meters away.

Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	messagepart.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	27766

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post

A combination of these two look pretty good for a mini projector for proofing shows as the graphics will only be projected on a wall 2-3meters away.
    Yeah.. That's what I had them in mind for, I think I'm going to pick up a couple of these if Dave's mouts turn out a go.
    That's enough power for a mini and less hassle than a 1 watter.

Thanks for the info!

@ Dave

I would be interested in a couple (2-5)

^ Everything Kit said!

Kit,

Thanks for the details regarding the Nichia and OpNext specs. As discussed, you and I are working the same project!

Dave,

I hope we can convince you to make a few, and/or have these available into the future. It's the availability of the housing (or lack thereof) that has been the biggest pain point regarding this project.

Thanks,
    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I am also in need for housing such diodes. I was preliminarily testing one for single longitudinal mode operation and they seem to be very useable for holography; much better than the 1W diodes. Actually I am working on an ECDL design. But a proper stable mount is still the main problem. I am contemplating soldering them into a small brass plate (to be mounted against a standard mount). I hope I can get some low-temp solder from our cryogenic guys.

Default Opnext or Osram?

Actually I had received two of those diodes and they look like as in the picture,
    but not like in the cited data sheet of the Opnext HL45023TG. In fact
    the picture seems to be taken from the data sheet of the Osram diode PL T4 NSB,
    see http://www.yc-dz.com/productimages/2...7171743285.pdf
    There are two versions of that diode, -1 and -2, with spec power of 30 and 50mW,
    respectively.

Did anybody already check whether the diode can do 50mW at al?

Thanks,
    Wolfgang

Edit 1 PS: there is a newer variant of that diode, called PL450,
    with virtually the same data. See
    http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalogu...003f0f00ad0023

Edit 2 PS: I checked with the seller, and indeed he confirmed that the "Opnext" diode shown in the first post is an Osram PL450.
    I guess that won't much matter for you guys, but for me a lot, since I am looking for diodes suitable for
    holography and the PL450 is definitely not suitable; whereas the Opnext diodes seem generally excellent.

So, does anybody have a genuine Opnext HL45023TG at hand??
    Last edited by RedlumX; 10-24-2011 at 07:47. Reason: indeed a PL450

Quote Originally Posted by RedlumX View Post
    So, does anybody have a genuine Opnext HL45023TG at hand??
    I do - at least to the extent that we think this is genuinely what it claims to be:
    http://www.rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=165
    I have one of those on hand, pressed in a module.

While I'm here - can I ask what people have been using to mount 3.8mm diodes? I am looking for 5 or so more 3.8mm mounts.

No, that's not the Opnext diode, but the Osram PL450. Indeed I have contacted Rayfoss because the picture they give is of the Osram and not of the Opnext, and they confirmed this to me in writing. They don't seem to care to update their description in their shop or in their ebay offer.

The data of the Osram are superficially quite similar to the Opnext (well, somewhat worse beam specs), so most wouldn't complain. I might, if I found out that the Opnext has better single longitudinal mode behavior than the Osram.

As for mounting, I managed to solder these diodes, which should give the best possible thermal coupling (which is important for my applications). For this, a low temperature solder needs to be used and one has to control the temperature carefully, not to exceed 85C. See pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1099s.jpg