Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone recognize these parts

Default anyone recognize these parts

I wonder if anyone recognizes these. No manufacturer name. Doesn't seem to have any specific means to mount on anything and I have no idea what the safe power range is. Other then that I'm feeling pretty confident on this total n00b move.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301056846292

This innocent and ill informed question has been brought to you by Tommy

Those look like some of the stuff I've pulled out of barcode scanners - low speed coils etc. Might make for some liquid sky, albeit a slooow scanner effect.

Let us know when they arrive...

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Greg, they did arrive today. I was thinking they could be slow scanners from a cheesy light fixture. They look old stock.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

They are from a massive Gen I industrial bar code scanner with a 10 mW hene. The coil and pole pieces are for say 60 Hz and are directly copied from a old clock motor. I tore down one used such scanner about 15 years ago. Mirror is overcoated silver or aluminum

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Wow. Thanks Steve for the specifics. And a good catch from Greg. They may be something to put aside for a crazy project and a rainy day.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have a handful of these. i bought them ages ago thinking i could use them as resonate scanners, but haven't gotten around to dorking with them.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I had bought them thinking I could use them in an abstract lumia projector where I wanted to add a little bit of extra but controlled movement.
    Last edited by Revmutt; 04-15-2014 at 03:33. Reason: details

Anyone have a suggestion on a driver board or what kind of power these might be happy at.
    I do have some robotics test control gear that might work if no one has any specific guesses on boards

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

A few watts of sub-bass or bass audio created with a sound card and audio amp should get you started. You could also try a center tapped 6.2 VAC filament transformer, and use the center tap and one side, or a series resistor to avoid overdrive. If you wish to try down to DC, that will need a power op-amp and split supplies.

Hey Swami, if you can, Please place a Ohm-meter on the drive coil so I can give him a more definitive answer.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no problem...

i *thought* that i had also grabbed some driver info. for some reason, i think they want +/- 1v dc.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    A few watts of sub-bass or bass audio created with a sound card and audio amp should get you started. You could also try a center tapped 6.2 VAC filament transformer, and use the center tap and one side, or a series resistor to avoid overdrive. If you wish to try down to DC, that will need a power op-amp.

Hey Swami, if you can, Please place a Ohm-meter on the drive coil so I can give him a more definitive answer.

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.