Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser projector power selection

Default Laser projector power selection

What’s the best way to select the desired laser power projector per venue size (assuming use of a haze machine and dim ambient stage lighting)? I have goggled the topic and searched here on the forum but I couldnt find the information. If there is a thread on the forum please just link it and I apologize for missing it originally.

What size venue would be appropriate for 1 watt projector fill? What size venue would appropriate for 2 watt projector?

I have read of small and medium sized venues. What qualifies as small and/or medium?

There is really no rule of thumb for that. As always, more is better. It really comes down to how much money the client wants to spend and how much work you are willing to do for that amount. Usually a balance can be struck. After doing lots of shows you get better at estimating what is the minimum amount of laser you are willing to put in a space for a given price and professional pride.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

i say run a test on the spot

carry a green laser there and scan a few frames. this will give a ballpark estimate of the power needed
    "its called character briggs..."

There's once told me that you can handle a rule that you need about 1mW per person or square meter (if you do beamshows) So for a venue where can get a thousand people in it you will need a 1Watt let's say green. Or 2x 500mW green. So if you have more projectors you need less power per projector. I think if you hold on to that you have a quick calculation what to use per venue.

Thank you guys for your responses.

I want to do shows in small to medium venues. Mostly dark/dim venues (rave style setting). I would say never over 700 people. 3 projectors per show. Overhead beam shows only. These would be RGB projectors.

I have the option to purchase 1 watt or 2 watt projectors. I am leaning towards the 2 watt projectors and just decreasing the intensity from the software. I just don’t want to over purchase and have way more than I need.

So I wanted to get some feedback from the forum members and their experiences.

Go for the 2w projectors. No matter what power you buy, you will find times when you wish you had more.

Speaking from experience... go as high as you can... you will be satisfied for like... a week, then you will want more LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by laserdj View Post
    Speaking from experience... go as high as you can... you will be satisfied for like... a week, then you will want more LOL!
    I am sure you are right! Luckily for indoor beam shows the required specs for components arent as high as for graphics (so the projectors arent nearly as expensive). As a result I can probably afford to buy more than a few projectors. Whats the point of having that money just sitting in my checking account anyways ....

Just sucks that I probably wont ever be able to obtain variances to do crowd scanning. Having seen crowd scanning in the Netherlands makes me really want to offer that style of show here in the US. One of the main reasons I am getting into lasering is to provide safe shows versus the unsafe shows that the underground raves here in Atlanta current receive. Most of the events, i have attended, just have someone slapping up a few 1-2 watt lasers pointed directly into the crowd and running in auto sound mode. Very unsafe and very unappealing to watch the same 32 patters and 7 colors.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

If you have lots of power (I mean visibility...) you can do great shows w/o audience scanning! The worst case scenario I think is low power and overhead beams.. almost invisible except if very dark and with thin haze.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    I am sure you are right! Luckily for indoor beam shows the required specs for components arent as high as for graphics (so the projectors arent nearly as expensive). As a result I can probably afford to buy more than a few projectors. Whats the point of having that money just sitting in my checking account anyways ....

Just sucks that I probably wont ever be able to obtain variances to do crowd scanning. Having seen crowd scanning in the Netherlands makes me really want to offer that style of show here in the US. One of the main reasons I am getting into lasering is to provide safe shows versus the unsafe shows that the underground raves here in Atlanta current receive. Most of the events, i have attended, just have someone slapping up a few 1-2 watt lasers pointed directly into the crowd and running in auto sound mode. Very unsafe and very unappealing to watch the same 32 patters and 7 colors.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Legal audience scanning in the USA will probably never happen....

You are right about beam shows. You can get some pretty high powered lasers with crappy beam specs and still do great shows. If you think you need 2w of laser you would find in a short time you wished you had 5w.....or more. You would be hard pressed to find anyone with show lasers who are satisfied with the amount of laser power they have.