Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a 20mW 405nm laser unit from Aixiz

It would also do you very well to read up on lasers in general and understand the theory of operation. Basic electronics would also help you out as well. I apologize, in advance, if you know a bit about basic electronics. I am just basing this off of the simplicity of your original post. Simply switching power supplies of different voltages to a laser diode is going to fry something. Laser diodes need specific voltages as well as specific current. This is why it is helpful to learn a few basics before jumping into lasers. 99% of us here have done that. Most of us know and knew electronics before even getting into lasers.

Most of the people here are helpful when it comes to learning the basics. No one wants to see anyone go from here but, most of us will be very reluctant to help someone with a high power laser if we don't know your level of experience or if you have little expierence. It isn't to be rude, it is to be helpful. In the meantime, welcome to PL. Take the time to read up using the search option. You can learn a great deal here.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Also, keep in mind that 405nm diodes are VERY sensitive. A lot of PL memebers have had them, have fried them, and have not gotten more. I, myself, had one and ran it at the specified current. It also died. They are a very pretty color and fun to play with, especially when experimenting with different items that fluoresce under UV or near UV light. They are, sadly, still fragile though.

just a quick note, 405nm is not a very visible wavelength to the human eye. so, apart from the apparent danger, it would not have any meaning to pot-mod it, as a few extra mw will not make any real difference.

better keep this diode as is, until you can find the money to buy this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-OP...item2a13e354e5
    "its called character briggs..."

@taggalucci

I do understand the frustration with the "stupid kids with pointers" factor, and I hope that was communicated in my response before. These are indeed powerful devices and I've endeavored to treat them with the respect that they are due. I'm glad to know that there are helpful smart people here as I do have a lot to learn. I understand the basic mechanics of lasers but sadly I lack a lot of knowledge about the electrical engineering side of lasers and their operation. I hope to learn more about this from wise folk on this forum. As for safety, I picked up some surplus US army laser protection shades on the suggestion of some folks on CPF's Lasers forum. I do need to buy some wider spectrum protection though, I'm pretty sure the shades I have are only geared towards red and green areas of the spectrum. Any idea if the UV protection on standard sunglasses do anything to a 405nm laser?

Anyways, I'm glad to be here. Hopefully this is was just a slightly rocky start to a long and fruitful relationship with this community.

@LaNeK779 Yeah I'd read up on the 405nm frequency isn't very visible, more interested in the fluorescing effects. Thank you for the link to the 445nm diode though, I have been interested in a more visible blue laser- especially one not in the 1Watt burn your eye sockets out range. This will show my relative ignorance but, how easy is it to take a bare diode and make something relatively reliable? I've tried removing red diodes from DVD/CD burners but I've found them kind of easy to break and I'm pretty terrible at soldering. I know a lot of people buy aixiz units and replace the diodes, I'm assuming I'd still need to solder some connections.

@absolom7691 Thank you for the response, I'm going to run the unit at the prescribed voltage and no higher. So given their sensitivity, I'm guessing these aren't directly injected like some of the newer fancy diodes? I'm definitely excited to play with the florescence effects. I'm curious, what eye protection do you use for 405nm?

Displaser had a good link in a post last month about safety glasses http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hlight=glasses

@absolom7691 I definitely want to learn up the more academic side of lasers. I'm in IT but I never really have to venture into the electrical engineering side of things, I work more in the world of software and understand hardware more on the macroscopic level that I need to. So I'm hoping to finally grasp the fundamentals of electronics, my past attempts have been frustrating. It seems that every other source has a different way of describing the mechanics, or they go too far into the minutia or are too broad to be useful. If you have any specific recommendations for a practical rundown on basic electronics theory I'd love to read it.

Thx @jimboy3625

Quote Originally Posted by fixorater View Post
    @absolom7691 I definitely want to learn up the more academic side of lasers. I'm in IT but I never really have to venture into the electrical engineering side of things, I work more in the world of software and understand hardware more on the macroscopic level that I need to. So I'm hoping to finally grasp the fundamentals of electronics, my past attempts have been frustrating. It seems that every other source has a different way of describing the mechanics, or they go too far into the minutia or are too broad to be useful. If you have any specific recommendations for a practical rundown on basic electronics theory I'd love to read it.
    I understand what you mean about learning. Electronics is not something you can just jump right into but, just learning the basics will help you a great deal right now. Asking people to describe it to will get you a ton of answers. It is at this point which I would recommend reading on your own. Learn the small stuff. Some simple math and learning what each part does. Look up the basic terms. Voltage, amperage, wattage, resitance, capacitance, Ohm's law.... just learning those basic principals will help you more than you know. Once you learn that, you can apply it: If your new diode runs at X volts and X current and the output is X mW, you will know how much heat needs to be dissapated.... things like that. I also work in IT and believe me, if you can learn that, you can learn electronics. http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Du...p/0764576607#_

Good luck!