Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber advice

Laser Warning Fiber advice

Hi...
    I have this 5W DPSS green that I would like to use to light up some fiber (or other material) for decorations purposes.
    Any advice on what I would need to buy?

Thanks

Wouldn't 5Watt be too powerful for decoration? I'm no expert on Fiber but 5W is burney burney.

Can always dial down the power...

I assume that you are looking for something like this?
    http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm

You will want to use a lens to match the face of the fiber so you don't burn it.
    But with 5 watts it will glow like a mother.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Yeah something along those lines... I donīt need to use full output, the laser head is analog modulation so can always use the right amount... but I want to light a long run...
    Wonder how I couple to the fiber...

We used to put 40+ watts of green from an infinity 2000 lamp pumped yag down a pair of fibres to remote heads... Not sure about what kind of fibre, launch or collimator at the end, but it worked, promise.

I'm almost 100% sure it was a fairly chunky polymer fibre, but beyond that i'd have to ask. I wouldn't worry too much about burnination, give it a shot and see what happens!

As far as a launch goes, all you need is a lens to match the beam diameter to the diameter of the fibre, and a method of positioning the fibre in the centre of that spot. Check out thorlabs if you're rich, or go find some scrap metal and a machine shop/your local hackspace if you're broke!

Hang on a minute... you're trying to use a 5W DPSS GREEN to light up some goddamn rope!?

Forget everything I just said, get some bright LED's and some fat fibre to couple them into, and use the laser for stuff only a laser can do!

Aka:
    1) buy the right tools for the job
    2) ??
    3) sell laser and make profit!

Sell my laser?
    U MAD BRO?
    LOL
    No this is just to explore another possybility of use for my laser... light some rope early on... throw som beams when the party starts... possibilities!
    Last edited by laserdj; 10-06-2011 at 14:56.

Iv'e read that a ball lens can be used to couple laser to fiber. I don't know the FL or NA formulas etc tho.. it would depend on your "rope" and beam diameters, I would imagine.. Good luck, and post pictures of your creation

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ok, you want plastic "sideglow" fiber in a small diameter. I'd start with Fred or Amanda at One Stop Laser shop.

At five watts, what often happens is the lens burns a conical hole in the end of the plastic fiber in a flash of light and nasty smoke, and the fiber then self mode matches. You need to align at low power, and you need the proper stuff.

Safety concern, the fiber can melt/emit laser light within a few meters of the laser if something goes wrong. Take care so that a mutant fiber does not cause more problem then its worth. Use in public requires some care and understanding at that power level. Watch your eyes.

Please do not go out and just Google "Side Glow Fiber", and buy the cheap stuff. Talk to One Stop and get the right material. It is usually less lossy then the LED based fiber, which is not so good for the long distances a laser is capable of.

You need a bit of kit to position the core of the fiber in front of the laser. Not much, but you MUST launch into the core of the fiber, not the cladding, or it melts at the laser end.

Before you cringe, I have seen 7 watts launched into plastic sideglow.

With larger fiber, you do not need a ball lens. There is such a thing as focusing too tightly.

Steve