Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ether Dream: new Ethernet DAC

That's really a pity. For "normal" computers it would be OK but for that kind of Embedded Devices it is a bit senseless to have the firmware open source and not to know details about the hardware (in my opinion). That's a bit like painting a house blindfolded...

Yes and no, the hardware is the 'easy' part. I have an etherdream here. I also have most of the components, that make the ether dream.
    The software is the tricky part in my opinion. With the software you can pretty much figure out the hardware if you really want to.

Do you want to layout a board, order components, make a proto, make a final, hand solder the first couple then front the money to get a couple of dozen boards made, order more components, get them to the smd house, get the boards populated, get them tested and flashed, put them in a box, get powersupplies, take orders, ship and then deal with customer support and maybe make $50 each?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Yeah, the source is open but the schematic and board design aren't. That said, I've tried to document what goes where - the pinouts for the expansion headers are here: http://ether-dream.com/manual.html and the internal connections are made clear in the firmware source. If you have questions regarding something specific you're trying to do, catch me (or someone else) on 36hz #photonlexicon or Freenode #etherdream - I tend to reply faster there.

Quote Originally Posted by j4cbo View Post
    catch me (or someone else) on 36hz #photonlexicon or Freenode #etherdream - I tend to reply faster there.
    That does not work for me. When I'm able to access these channels nobody seems to be there - and during the times people are online I'm behind a firewall that does not allowe me to access IRC ports.

So is it planned to publish the layouts of the hardware at some time? At the moment I do not have any specific questions, I just wanted to have a look to see what hidden possibilities there are/if it is possible to change the layout to provide other output signals/just to have a look and to see what other ideas come up.

Hi j4cbo

I have Etherdream, firmware v0.4.3, Im workinmg with drlavas UDAC and this projector wit 50kpps.

What is the higher point rate I can send trough Etherdream?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Osithlon View Post
    What is the higher point rate I can send trough Etherdream?

Thanks
    It's designed to work up to 100kpps. Make sure your scanners can deal with the data you're sending, though!

Update

The first batch of Ether Dream DACs is sold out. I have more in production now, though some of the components took longer than I thought to arrive. I expect I'll be able to ship more boards again in a week and a half.

Along with the new batch, there's a slight price drop. It's now $249 for the bare board, and $289 with the case and power supply. If you have an outstanding order that I haven't shipped yet, the new price will apply to you.

I'm also working on two new options:
    - A 16-bit version of the board, designed for laser marking and other applications requiring higher precision.
    - A DMX I/O board, allowing the Ether Dream to also act as a DMX-to-OSC bridge, an OSC-to-DMX bridge, and allowing direct DMX control of laser output.

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by j4cbo View Post
    It's designed to work up to 100kpps. Make sure your scanners can deal with the data you're sending, though!
    Hi j4cbo

Thanks for the answer,

what do you mean exactly by "Make sure your scanners can deal with the data you're sending"

If my scanner supports 50kpps, whats the problem if i send a 30-40kpps signal?

is the problem with the amount of points or the ild format?

If Im just sending GREEN XY points, what kind of problems I could have with my scanner?

We will stay tuned!!!, great job with Etherdream, continue with it.
    Last edited by Osithlon; 07-20-2012 at 02:07.

your scanners can support 50kpss at a small angle, or around half that at maximum angle.
    so long as you do not exceed that your scanners will be ok

in any case, if you send out 100kpps (etherdream's max), it will end up in tears
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    your scanners can support 50kpss at a small angle, or around half that at maximum angle.
    so long as you do not exceed that your scanners will be ok

in any case, if you send out 100kpps (etherdream's max), it will end up in tears
    Hi LaNeK779

First, thanks for your answer.

Some doubts about the angle:

1-I supose the way to control the projection angle is by XY coordinates, if i send two separated points with a big distance between them, the angle will be higher than two points taht are near.

it is like this or there is any other way to control the projection angle?

2-if I exceed the projection angle with a high kpss value, what can hapen to my scanner? burns out???

Thanks in advance

Osithlon