Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ether Dream: new Ethernet DAC

I'll try to put it simple, as i am no expert myself
    Your scanners have a theoretical maximum speed at the smallest angle and a practical speed at which they come to you, pre-tuned from the factory.

If the signal you supply to them does not exceed the kpps value they came tuned to, you are ok. It doesn't matter where each point is located in the projection area, as the projection area is defined by the scan angle

so, if your scanners came tuned to 50kpps a 8 degrees and you supply a 50kpps signal you are ok (irrelevant of point positioning)
    if they came tuned to 30kpps at 20 degrees and you don't exceed 30kpps, you are ok

you will know when you are overdriving them. they tend to distort the image and make a loud screeching noise
    they don' t burn out immediately, but you can' t go on watching whole shows while overdriving your galvos
    "its called character briggs..."

Thanks LaNeK779

any app to see this values? how do I know the values that my scanner has pre-tuned from factory?

can I change this pre tuned values?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Osithlon View Post
    any app to see this values? how do I know the values that my scanner has pre-tuned from factory?
    this is the point where i say "read the ... manual"

Quote Originally Posted by Osithlon View Post
    can I change this pre tuned values?
    yes, of course, but it is takes time, practice and patience (and if not carefull you can mess up your galvos).

You can get an idea reading the excellent tutorial by user " buffo " here http://lasershowparts.com/files/Arti...20Tutorial.pdf
    here is some info on scan angles http://www.pangolin.com/userhelp/scanangles.htm
    and a post i found on some 50k scanners http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...o+galvo+tuning

in general, don;t be lazy, search is your friend (this is just a friendly nudge)
    you should really start another post on your galvos and not go on about it on this thread, which is for the etherdream dac.

sorry for the "polution" j4cbo
    "its called character briggs..."

Update!

I'm back in stock with a new revision of the boards. These are exactly the same as V1 except for:
    - Manufacturability improvements (some parts are now surface mount instead)
    - Interlock safety system works a bit better (it's now more robust against certain unlikely CPU failure modes)
    - Connectors line up better with the end of the case
    - It's black!

I'm also announcing a new DMX interface board.

This connects to the expansion headers on the board:

The DMX interface works with both new and old versions of the board. It has connectors for out, in, and thru (wired to "in"). The Ether Dream supports DMX output on up to three boards simultaneously, controlling three totally separate universes; it also supports input on one universe. I can build the adapter board with either 3-pin or 5-pin DMX connectors, and it can also be configured to be isolated from the Ether Dream's power and signal voltages.

I have a few of the first run of DMX boards available for sale now. They work perfectly, but I forgot to label the connectors on them, so I'm selling them at a bit of a discount. Once the new batch is done the price will go up by $5. Here's the current price:
    - 3-pin connector, non-isolated: $25
    - 5-pin connector, non-isolated: $35
    - 3-pin connector, isolated: $35
    - 5-pin connector, isolated: $45

On the software side, the DMX interface works as a DMX-to-OSC and OSC-to-DMX bridge, documented here: http://ether-dream.com/userguide.html#dmx OSC control apps like TouchOSC work well too. I've also sent a DMX adapter board to drlava, and we're working together to include full support for the Ether Dream's DMX output in LSX.

DMX connectors are big, and the adapter I've made doesn't fit in the Ether Dream case. I'm still trying to figure out the best option there - stay tuned.

I'll post more documentation and order form later this weekend.

To support DMX output and the new hardware revision, there's also a new firmware update, v0.5.0; I'll be posting it this weekend too.

Anyway to play back a DMX show from the SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Anyway to play back a DMX show from the SD card?
    Coming soon. Most of the infrastructure for that is already in place (the autoplay system lets you control OSC endpoints from a file on the SD card) - I just need to add some way of timing it.

In other news, I've updated the web site with documentation for the DMX board, an order form, and a new contact page.

I've had an ether dream for a few months and its been great. But all of a sudden it won't turn on? When plug the power cable in nothing happens except for the component labels 104NL (Power inductor?) gets hot.

Has anyone had this problem? I really need a solution asap!

Contact via email might be best, http://www.ether-dream.com/contact.html

I have two Ether Dreams and have not had any trouble with them. Do you have a case for your? Did you maybe short it out? I'm sure j4cbo will take a look at it for you.

(Just as a follow-up, I swapped out donkeykong's board for a new one.)

Here's what I've been up to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvIqx9Vy7c

Credit to dchammonds for SpiroDAC; the algorithms and basic design come straight from that, though I've reimplemented the interface and added a few new features...
    Last edited by j4cbo; 11-17-2012 at 17:10.

Very nice! Is that running on the etherdream directly?