Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding recent pointer posts, can someone explain...

Default Regarding recent pointer posts, can someone explain...

...what the fun of them is in the first place? Never having had a laser pointer I couldn't get from the crap counter at a local hardware store, I'm wondering what's the fun of a high power laser pointer? I admit that every time I come across one, I have to shine it at the wall, but the fun is over in 2 minutes for me.

From minutes of exhaustive research I've found this seems to be 95% of what you can do with one: brag. "I popped a balloon 30 feet away!" "'I lit a match at a yard.' 'Oh yeah? I lit a match at 20 feet!'" "Burned through a jewel case *faster* with my new pointer!" "I made a dot at 3000 feet." "Look at my mouth light up green!" "Check out that girl's boobs" (boobs-finder; maybe there's a legitimate use, after all) "Wow, beams off a mirror ball"

Besides pretending I'm using a guidance system on a shoulder-fired missile when I point it at aircraft, burning the neighbors' cat, or melting plastic army men playing "Independence Day," what am I missing? Am I being a facetious jerk in light of the fact that I haven't had a real high powered LP experience?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Nah.... I think you're spot on.

If you've got the brains like a goldfish, all of the described phenomena can be fascinating over and over again.

Hello. Hello. Hello. Hello. Hello.
    This space for rent.

I've never been a pointer guy, but felt compelled to get one of the first 445nm units smuggled into the US by the Hong Kong scam. You're right, not much to do with it but impress myself and others with the basic visibility of the beam and its beautiful color. I've also used it to conveniently characterize some blue HOEs at work, check transmission through some unknown lenses, demonstrate lumia effects through a candy dish, and to illuminate a hologram I made for a special occasion, but mostly it's just a "Jesus that's freakin' amazing" toy to enjoy and share. Nothin' wrong with THAT!

For the most part I would have to agree with those first few comments.
    Too many people are getting these extremely dangerous "weapons" and using them for simple, and often dangerous, means.
    Despite the various government crack-downs (which seem to make the possession even more desirable to certain personality types) more and more morons are getting them and they do STUPID things with them.
    As you point out, they don't have many legitimate uses for most people. I fully agree on the "how many balloons" or "how many matches" concept that after so many times it becomes rather pointless.
    I am still fairly new to the whole hobby but I have never considered spending any money on a high powered "CD case" cutter. I already have several different tools that could cut through plastic that are useful for other things too.
    Having said that I will admit to having dozens of those cheap $1 red laser pointers over the last 10 years or so and that I just recently received my first 5mw 532nm pointer. There is an inherent amazingness in the much brighter and more powerful laser. To be able to see the beam in the (mostly)dark without smoke or extra dust etc. is still kind of awe inspiring. To consider the concepts that apply to make that beam come from my hand is also somewhat thought provoking. I can see how easy it would be to want to see yet another that is even brighter, then another brighter yet, and so on to the point where you can stand in bright daylight and clearly see the beam from your hand under your own complete control.(hopefully)
    And there would be a natural progression to want to have it in a different color than the next guy too.
    So that all makes some sort of sense. A lot of "bravado" involved I guess.
    Now, two nights ago I started planning and making a contraption that would allow me to `remotely' control my green laser pointer to use as a "vortex" generator for installation in my front hallway for Halloween this year. (I've had the smoke machine for years.) A few years ago I used 2 of the red ones and had dual vortices but the darkness required made for a dangerous doorway for the kids. Not acceptable by my standards. This brighter green one will work much better and at just a fraction over 5mw under peak conditions it should be quite safe under the much-less-than-peak conditions I use it in.
    Maybe a couple of red ones being driven to the max. for "liquid sky" effect as well will balance it out.
    To be honest, I am thinking about getting a 405nm unit or two and perhaps another 532nm with some new higher powered reds as well.(for balanced viewing) Due to the costs involved all will more than likely be pointers as they are cheap and readily available.
    I'm always looking to convert them into nice small labby modules if I can but there is a benefit to having portable battery powered devices sometimes too. A simple clothes-pin can hold the button down and makes for a flat stable base at the same time. A laser light show in minutes while out camping is always impressive. (I have battery powered 3" mirror balls and small motors too. And the campfire provides as much smoke as you could ever need...)
    But that's just me. Perhaps I'm a lot different from the rest.

My first pointer was a helium-neon tube in black pvc pipe with a handle on it . Sorta looking like a ray-gun. It came from "information unlimited". I (wonder if they still exist?) I had fun with it for a while. Seems like the funnest part though was building it. It came as a 'kit' . It didn't pop balloons tho ..

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    My first pointer was a helium-neon tube in black pvc pipe with a handle on it . Sorta looking like a ray-gun. It came from "information unlimited". I (wonder if they still exist?) I had fun with it for a while. Seems like the funnest part though was building it. It came as a 'kit' . It didn't pop balloons tho ..
    IU still exists: http://www.amazing1.com/

IU still exists: http://www.amazing1.com/
    LOL! They still look the same/ got LDs now tho .. Ha - thanks for the memories LED ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lgu40.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	27987

SpaceJay is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

I like both lab and pointer lasers. I don't see the difference in them at all.