Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 20k and 40k scanners

Default Re: DAc

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    8 Bit Resulotion is not enought to get a good looking Graphic.
    I dissagree with this assertion. I have an 8-bit DAC right now, and the graphics I can get look very nice. If I was using a USB-based DAC instead of the Alphalite (which uses the parallel port), I wouldn't have any issues at all.

As it is, the only problem I have with the Alphalite is that the PC can't continuously stream data to the parallel port and also do anything else at the same time (like access the disk drive). So sometimes I get hot spots in the image. But this isn't related to the 8-bit resolution of the DAC...

Have a look at some of my gallery pics and see what the graphics look like. And bear in mind that most of the artifacting you see is due to the problems with the parallel port timing.

Several profesionally laserists have stated here on PL that 8-bit resolution is more than adequate for 90% of all laser shows. I'll admit that I was skeptical myself, but after viewing the results with my own eyes, I became a believer in 8-bit DACs.

Sure - if you've got the cash to spend, a 12-bit or 16-bit DAC is the way to go. But if money is tight, you can save a lot of money by going with an 8-bit solution.

Adam

I did have a 8 bit LPT before..
    And the "lines" was full off dots`..
    But i think that was becouse of the software..

But here is some pictures of Mamba Black + Easylase 12bit

http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/Liteglow?page=8

I dont think you really can se so much diffrence (i dont have any hotspots)
    if you se hotspot on the picture it`s becouse of the shuttertime of the cam...

But I will recomend to use 12bit, becouse of the detail you CAN do if you WANT it maybe come in handy later someday