Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying cheapo drill

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    It doesn't take strength to tap. It's relatively esay. In fact, you have to be careful not to force it or you will break the tap. Especially with the small taps
    ok thanks will buy one of those soon then.
    @LaNek779, yes its only for use on the baseplate. i never ever drill besides on my laser projector wich i hope to finish soon.
    after i finished the project i will probaly give the drill to my dad because he needs to replace that piece of shit drill of him.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Did you read my reply or are you just intoxicated and on a war?
    Come on steve... i hope you mean better than your reply imply's.
    Sorry Anthony, yes I was feeling ill-tempered last night when I posted that. I was just trying to reiterate Borgquennx's request for something cheap and not a drill-press or expensive drills like others were posting. That post was not directed toward you.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Borq:

Buy:

Tapping Stand or Tapping Guide Aka Self Aligning Tapper (This keeps the taps perfectly straight for beginners)

Here is one:

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...tinue_shopping

See the frame that keeps your holes straight? The tap wrench fits down inside it and keeps things aligned. This prevents beginners from breaking taps.

Make sure you get a tap wrench that handles both sizes of tap shafts.

You need a Nice quality drill WITHOUT a quick chuck, keyless chuck, or self tightening chuck. GET one that uses a chuck key. Use the chuck key at all THREE key holes in the chuck, this prevents the drills from getting scratched up and spinning like you have experienced. Once a chuck is worn, or loose, it will almost always spin.

Center drills as posted above.

When you can afford it, tapping fluid. Until you can afford it, light machine oil works for most materials, but proper tapping fluid is best for aluminum.

The best Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee or DeWalt drill you can afford, and keep it for life. Maybe Ryobi if you have little budget. A good one will last you twenty years. The one my dad gave me before he passed away has 40 years on it and is still good enough, although I have a big Makita for LEMS and Around the House. I'm sure there is a European drill that is as good as the "Big Four" I named.

Buy commercial taps and tap sized drills from a mail order machining place, its cheaper in the long run then buying tapping kits at the hardware store, you usually can get 3 drill bits or two good taps for what you pay for one packaged card kit at the hardware or home repair place.

I wish you'd consider a small drill press. Usually you can take apart most projectors and fit them on the drill press

Humorous note: Marriage in terms of software:

Buy the best tools you can get and keep them. One day Girlfriend 1.6 will force you to upgrade to Wife 2.0. Wife 2.0 will spawn or spin off child processes that will consume all the processor and financial power you have. Wife 2.0 will not allow you to spend money on useful things that she considers trivial, like good tools.
    You have been warned.

I'd avoid trying to drill big holes with a Dremel tool. I WOULD buy a Dremel tool and a good cutoff disk set for working on projectors.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Sorry Anthony, yes I was feeling ill-tempered last night when I posted that. I was just trying to reiterate Borgquennx's request for something cheap and not a drill-press or expensive drills like others were posting. That post was not directed toward you.
    Steve, thats ok mate....
    I went to the dentists to remove a root.....pffff
    My mood wasn't any better than yours :-)

Steve, thats ok mate....
    I went to the dentists to remove a root.....pffff
    My mood wasn't any better than yours :-)
    Ouch! Sounds painful. Dentists aren't any fun :/

so i found this:
    http://www.boormachinestore.nl/produ...-450-watt.html
    is that something recommendable for if i want something portable? Yes its a dutch page but im sure you know the name
    its makita and i heard on this topic thats a good drill?

im planning on buying titanium coated drills with them.

EDIT: and this is meant with WD40 spray? this makes drilling easier and better fror the drill?
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 11-12-2011 at 11:58.

looks like a nice dril.

I also have Ti coated drills but i do think they work better in steel than in Aluminium.

looks like a nice dril.

I also have Ti coated drills but i do think they work better in steel than in Aluminium.
    Ti (yellow coating) usually sucks for aluminum. Especially cheap drills and end mills. Find a tool supplier. The type of place that sells to a machine shop and order the correct taps and drills for them. They will be much higher quality then stuff you can get at a hardware store.

Yes you want to use a tapping/cutting fluid. Aluminum tends to stick to tools and stop you from drilling/ tapping. WD-40 works in a pinch but this or something like it is better.
    http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Prod...1135011&sr=8-2

Do not try to tap without some sort of cutting fluid. I guarantee you will break it.
    When tapping stay straight do not bend sideways or you will break the tap off in the hole. Twist in 1 turn, back out 1/4 of a turn (to break the chip) then keep going like that. Clean the chips off of the tap before your next hole. I only use spiral point cnc grade for everything, the new geometries work better.

chad

oh, and everything that Steve said.

edit: a drill bit like this. http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...rchandizedOk=Y

And a tap like this.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
    Last edited by chad; 11-12-2011 at 13:18.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Ti= titanium?
    I wanna order from ebay because the large differences in products you can get anything there. A tool supplier will recommend whatever they have.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    I wanna order from ebay because the large differences in products you can get anything there. A tool supplier will recommend whatever they have.
    Remember: You get what you pay for.

To do a proper job, you need proper tools.

Also, buying cheap drill bits, that goes dull or brake after two holes, is not cheaper than getting quality stuff that lasts for hundreds of holes.

/Thomas