Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building new RGB indoor scanner for beam shows

Default Building new RGB indoor scanner for beam shows

Dear Photonlexicon members,

The last couple of years I have visited some extraordinary parties with the most stunning lasershows. The shows on Qlimax, DefQon etc. are so unbelievably fascinating that I´ve somewhat become addicted to the sight of them (youtube 'em for an impression). So much in fact that I´ve decided to no longer wait for the parties to come up, but to take matters in my own hands and build one myself. Now I've been reading for what seems like ages on this forum, the lpf forums and alot of other sites to the point that I feel confident to know enough terminology to start this thread with the questions I still have.
    Please redirect me if something I ask for has already been answered (which I'm sure someone did) but there is sooo much to find online that I kinda lost track of what really needs to be done.

First. The lasers.
    I am part of a crew working in a club and the primary place for the laser will be there. It is a relatively small place (20 by 20 meters) and the idea is mainly to use it for crowd scanning. At first I am interested in beam shows only. The first question I have is the following: How powerfull do my lasers have to be? I've read tons of threads about DIY scanners and everyone seems to be using other types of lasers. Some use lasers in the order of magnitude of 100mW, others build lasers exceeding 5W. For the main purpose of scanning crowds in the 400m² room with beam shows only, how powerfull do my green (532nm), red (650nm) and blue (473nm) lasers have to be?

Secondly. The galvos.
    Galvos are a very important part in a scanner but, as with the lasers, there a numerous types available ranging from say $80 to $400. Again my question is what type of galvos are suitable for the project? I've read many times that for beam shows one does not really need the fastest galvos, since the loss of precision is not really visible. Are the PT-20K galvos I have in mind good enough for the job, or should I consider buying better ones?

Third. The DAC device.
    I think I'm gonna make use of the tutorial posted here. Is this gonna be sufficient?

Fourth. Laser optics.
    Somehow this is confusing me the most. You need dichros to combine the different colors into new colors or the complete white beam. Alot of suggestions have been made in other threads, varying from very expensive superoptics, to the simple DIY. Can someone please explain what suits this project best? Then you need to align the laserbeams perfectly with the galvos to produce clean, unscattered beams. Which mounts/mirrors are the best to use?

Fifth, the other components.
    Next to the components I have already mentioned, I will need a baseplate, some sort of housing, wiring and PSUs. A baseplate will not really be a problem, since I have got a laser cutting machine (how convenient, in a laserforum) and many metalplates to choose from at work. For housing I think I will use an old computer, or something everything will fit in once I can draw the layout. Wiring and PSU should not really be a problem, just like old computerfans for cooling.
    Are the any major components I forgot to include in my list of things I need to get started? Please let me know!

I would like to thank you in advance for any feedback and I'm sorry for any questions asked which have been answered previously, but I kinda lost track of all the information.

Regards!

To best help you, 2 things are needed: your location and your your budget

My location is in the Netherlands and my budget will be around €1000,- ($1400,-). This a first projection though, if you can already say it is by far not enough I can always adjust, but if it is possible for such money, then please.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Third. The DAC device.
    I think I'm gonna make use of the tutorial posted here. Is this gonna be sufficient?

No, its outdated and difficult to use. Buy Pangolin's Quickshow or LSX with a Riya.

Quickshow + 1100 mW of laser = far better then 3 watts of laser and poor software. Trust me on that.

Steve

Alright, but it is quite a big step forward it seems. The DAC tutorial is made for less then $60,- and the LSX with Riya is already $260 if I'm correct. Quickshow is even more expensive?
    Are you suggesting by the way that I should at least use 1.1W of lasers to make this project work?

Steve is trying to say that a smaller/low powered laser with a good DAC is mutch better than a Big laser/higpower with no control or no means for creative input.

I can vouch for that.
    I used a "entry level" dac with software on a really small low powered projector.
    I wasn't satisfied with the content available for that dac/software and making my own contend was hard with the limitations of the software.

I made a hard decision and bought Pangolins QM2K /Ld2K package.
    The dac/software was 2,5X more expensive than my DIY projector.
    It made al the difference... it made it possible to out the best the projector could do.

More important was the support and Usergroup that was behind the package.
    Alot of content.. alot of people making new content... and a shitload of help with problems that made the learning curve alot more "doable".

I'm at the point of getting back into the hobby after 2,5 years of absence.... I know now that i personally aren't going for anything less then a QM2000 card with pangolin software.
    And i am no pro or doing shows commercially. Just hobby.

I'm going to keep this very much in mind, but I should add that this project is only experimental. Being all new to building scanners, my first and main concern is to get a device working properly. Using a component that will drive the price skyhigh to get the best results, might not be the best way for me to get to know the system without having to blow extremely much money. I've quickly googled your QM2k suggestion and that seems a tad expensive, even more than Quickshow.

But the LSX + Riya option is a good middleroad-alternative I guess?

I did the same as you....
    Got hooked....
    and eventially bought the expensive option.

That will be my next problem, dealing with the possible addiction. But to confirm, Riya lite DAC + LSX software is the good (and affordable) way to?

Riya lite DAC + LSX software for just beams is fine and you can get away with a cheap scan set and save the rest of your money for laser love. Don't forget to start the hunt for a nice base to put all your toys in. If you think your hooked on lasers for life get Pangolin now and ignore the DAC!