Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First pangolin hardware and software located in a datacenter (worlds first!)

Ok, this is particularly confusing to me now.

Why would you want to put one of those into a datacenter? Datacenters are generally for high bandwidth servers and I don't think you're going to be serving up any super high bandwidth.
    Following that, it would be MUCH cheaper to host all those bits at home... not hard, pop open a few ports(I suppose, I have not used a QM.NET), get a static IP from your ISP and point nameservers. (or get a dynamic dns updater, dyndns is pretty easy to use). Your programming buddy didn't suggest that at all?

Also, glitching DNS server? at.... a datacenter? Those problems should have been fixed yesterday if people are not able to visit the sites that the datacenter is hosting.
    I'd be especially worried if you have clients that need to access the QM with whatever you're doing. What if the datacenter "glitches" again while a client needs the file? what if the QM locks up and doesn't respond to remote commands? Do you have a remote relay on the power of that QM in case you need to power cycle it?

Craig

if its a decent data center all the PDU's should be managed

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    You fail at security.
    You fail at commenting and behaving properly.
    Secondly I like to add to that: better then nothing, the way of protection DOES help actually
    I guess you do understand that if someone tries to break the encryption on my frames gets sued? (you have to agree to terms when creating an account on my site).
    Also dont take Spacejay down because this guy is seriously doing some great work here, go troll somewhere else as I dont want this to turn in a whine topic but rather an informative topic.
    (Thanks SpaceJay, I apreciate your comments)

About why in a datacenter: The QM is not linked to the network, the QM is linked to the server which is connected to the internet.
    The high bandwidth is intended because of the vast amounts of data this service is going to provide / deliver, this is way faster then you get at home.

The DNS server was glitching because of a configuration error/bug, it started glitching when one of the 2 new servers got added ( it did work perfect before). I just hear it's the dns of my programmer, he's having a conversation with the collocation provider and it should be fixed soon).
    Do note that the glitch is not there for all sites, actually only for my server and my programmers server the rest are working properly
    (dns server is working perfectly now)

Everything gets managed and it's a very professional datacenter, dont forget that it's a collocation, so the server in it is my property.

Also dont forget all employees are not allowed to watch what's on the server, only me
    Last edited by masterpj; 10-19-2011 at 07:35.

Thumbs down Are you actually *trying* to be a bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    You have no idea who you're talking to.
    So what? *YOU* have no idea how Peiter is using the QM-2000 either, yet that didn't stop you from making your first snide comment.

Instead of making assumptions about his Internet security knowledge, why not ask him what the board is for? I think you'll find that it has more to do with the Pangolin encrypted file format than anything else, and that's not something that Peiter (or you) could change.

Seriously Jas, lately you have been even more prickly than your usual self. What the hell? Is someone spiking the Google punch with testosterone these days, or have you just given up all hope of ever being decent to people?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    So what? *YOU* have no idea how Peiter is using the QM-2000 either, yet that didn't stop you from making your first snide comment.

Instead of making assumptions about his Internet security knowledge, why not ask him what the board is for? I think you'll find that it has more to do with the Pangolin encrypted file format than anything else, and that's not something that Peiter (or you) could change.

Seriously Jas, lately you have been even more prickly than your usual self. What the hell? Is someone spiking the Google punch with testosterone these days, or have you just given up all hope of ever being decent to people?

Adam
    Thats correct, there is more to it then just encryption. As for now this is its first use.
    We are automating stuff with the help of the QM to save both the user and myself from task that do not have to be done manually per-se.
    Loads and loads of custom code is being created at the moment.
    This site will really contains some new features that i'm sure many laserist will benefit from for real.
    I really have thought about this and I'm confident.

No, from an engineering perspective this makes *no* sense whatsoever. The QM, as far as I'm aware, is a little box with a processor that runs code that could just as easily run on a server. The only reason to stick a QM.NET in a datacenter and not use its analog output circuitry is because Pangolin falsely claims that that's the only way to do whatever PJ is trying to do.

interested in following this Thread so leaving a comment to receive updates ;-)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michel Rietveld @ Utrecht The Netherlands

FB3, BEYOND Ultimate, 3xFB4, apc 40

1x5W RGB 637nm 1.3W, Edison Blue 2.5W 445nm and CNI 2.5W 532nm Greenie with Pico driver with DT40Kpro scanner set

2x3W RGB DT30 scanner set

Thumbs down You need to be more "aware" of the LD-2000 system before you post!

Quote Originally Posted by j4cbo View Post
    The QM, as far as I'm aware, is a little box with a processor that runs code that could just as easily run on a server.
    Wrong.

The QM-2000 is indeed it's own computer, but it also runs custom firmware (exclusive to the coldfire hardware) that handles (among many other things) the encrypted file format that secures the frame files for Pangolin shows. This code can not be run on just any old server. More to the point, part of the file encryption system relies heavily on the QM-2000 hardware being present in order to function. (And no, not just as a dongle, but as part of the encryption/decryption engine.)

Bottom line: Without the QM-2000 in place, you have no way to access the secured frames that are tied to that QM-2000's serial number. Pangolin does not issue a stand-alone program that can do this in the absence of the QM-2000 harware, nor is there any other 3rd party software available that will do this. (That's the whole point behind the secure file format.) So you can't run Showtime, for example, on a server unless you also have the QM-2000 present. Period.

*Could* Pangolin change this? Sure. Will they? Of course not. It adds far too much risk in terms of introducing holes or otherwise compromising their secure file format, and it adds little if any value to the vast majority of their customers. MasterPJ is simply working within the limits of the LD-2000 security system.

Before you (and everyone else) started bashing him, you should have at least done a bit of research first. Then you would have learned about the restrictions explained above (which most LD-2000 owners are already quite familiar with).

Sheesh! Why is everyone jumping on Peiter all of the sudden? Hey may be young, but he's not an idiot. He's actually quite clever. Before you stomp all over him because you think you know better, why not ASK him why he's doing things this way, instead of telling him why it makes no sense? You might just learn something...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 10-19-2011 at 12:24. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by j4cbo View Post
    No, from an engineering perspective this makes *no* sense whatsoever. The QM, as far as I'm aware, is a little box with a processor that runs code that could just as easily run on a server. The only reason to stick a QM.NET in a datacenter and not use its analog output circuitry is because Pangolin falsely claims that that's the only way to do whatever PJ is trying to do.
    I know it could be done (the encryption or other services without a QM, but I respect their way of not making their stuff not hardware independant and even if I would complain it exceptions will not be made, they already offered to help with some stuff I need for the service i'm offering so i'm not even going to complain about that.

But indeed its wrong the QM does use custom firmware that handles the encrypted format and also decodes it, this is 100% accurate, and duh that they are not changing that fact.
    Buffo your completely correct, me and you and other LD2000 users are aware of the facts since we actually own and use the system.

Many +1 to you Buffo
    I think people are jumping on it because I'm doing something no one else has done yet and that makes it for people seem wrong, at least that is what it seems.
    Instead of making assumptions use facts, secondly you might wait until you make assumptions until I release more information.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I know it could be done (the encryption or other services without a QM, but I respect their way of not making their stuff not hardware independant and even if I would complain it exceptions will not be made, they already offered to help with some stuff I need for the service i'm offering so i'm not even going to complain about that.
    The only way you could do this would be if you intentionally cracked the Pangolin encryption. Which is surely possible, given enough time and effort. And while I'm not qualified to comment on how easy (or difficult) that might be, it's clear that doing so would forever put you "on the shit list", so to speak! (Which I know you wouldn't want.)

More importantly though, I'm sure that you have no intention of breaking the encryption, since that would also mean that all your future content could easily be copied too. One of the reasons the LD-2000 system is so widely adopted is because people can create custom shows and secure them to a single serial number. That allows people to sell their shows with the knowledge that they can't easily be copied and passed around, and that created a vast market for custom content. Breaking the encryption would cause that market to shrink dramatically.

Adam