Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NON-Compliant Laserworld Projectors

"why not make the world your marketplace and start exporting some lazors???"
    Now that could be a good method, but expensive. If the marketing were to include the proper (if simplified) regulations as part of the selling features then it could change the way that ALL systems are sold.
    -> I'm kind-of split on that though as a cheap Chinese crap projector will be my entry point into the hobby. Up here in Canada I shouldn't have a problem but in the future having all units double in price would push it out of range again. But I also plan on keeping it home/private so there shouldn't ever be a problem with it.

I always read your rants and all the other related posts that have to do with the regulations Marc. Anyone who wants to get involved with lasers should be required to know the rules & regulations, even if they only apply to the countries next door. I think that knowing the toughest regs and making sure that your own products meet them is just a smart way of doing things. There would be some reasoning to why the regulations were in place and to make your own equipment meet or beat those criteria should result in a superior product that could be used anywhere ! And the crucible of businesses would also push the creative solutions and trouble shooting of common problems into cost effective and therefore less expensive quality products. A win-win situation given enough time.

Now on the boundaries of the regulations as, in life, there rarely are simple black & white circumstances, how do you think they would apply if :
    Someone purchases a non-compliant unit, modifies and upgrades the contents, and applies most of the additional controls to make it compliant.
    In this theoretical situation the holder of the equipment then starts the proper processes to getting the full "variance" using his example of having most of the extras for compliance installed and promising to complete them at a future date.
    Do you think that an exception would be made ?
    Would there possibly be a conditional variance issued/applied ?(does one exist ?)
    And the problem starts when the copycats start producing products that only match that level of compliance...of course citing this first example as precedent.
    Common practice in the business world...exceptions are made to encourage business growth by the "powers that be" without consideration of the consequences. And there are too many unscrupulous opportunists out there that take advantage of the situation.
    Soon the original regulations don't apply or can't be enforced without expensive legal battles.
    And the whole industry takes that "one step back"...

But maybe I'm just being pessimistic. This sort of thing doesn't happen that often does it ?

Lightbulb I have an idea...

...for how you can all, globally, 'deal' with these pesky LW-issues...

OCCUPY LASERW*RLD!!!

...So, man your anti-riot gear, and... post-up pix of the revolution! ...and while yer at it... OCCUPY WANTON-LASERS, too!

jk...or not...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...