Thread: Advice on sealing or filtering optics on Laserworld lasers

Default Advice on sealing or filtering optics on Laserworld lasers

Hi there

I am new here and would like to get some advice on some lasers I recently purchased through Laserworld.
    I bought 1x cs 1000 RGB , 1 x cs 1000 RGY and a PL - 1700 laser from laserworld.
    I have an MVS Hazer to use for my gigs. What I would like to ask is on the CS models the dont have any
    filters on the inlets and outlets, nor is any of the optics sealed from the airflow.
    I am a beginner here and would really appreciate any advice on how to prevent dust/smoke from
    causing problems with the optics. I have opened the cover and not left with much room to
    seal the optics section.
    Would it be safe to modify and make up filter housing to attach to the inlet on the side of the housing to
    filter the air?

I will try and get some pictures up here but in the meantime would appreciate some sound advice!!!

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	28094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	28095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	28096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	028.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	28097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	28098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	28099
    Last edited by PURE; 10-18-2011 at 09:37.

Just so you know the PL isn't sealed or filtered either......

Thanks, but yeah I did realize that.. Was actually looking at the bigger and newer models that were sealed but
    had to go with these for now with my budget. Also using in clubs and indoor venues so didn't want something too
    powerful for now. I will upload some pics of the CS models please let me know if you have any ideas to share.

Welcome to PL!

I'm not familiar with these but from the looks of your pictures the fans blow out, sucking the air in through the opposite side and across/through the components. It looks like there is a bit of room on the non-fan/intake side that you could install a make-shift filter into.

You could make something pretty cheap with this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Brand-128...ref=pd_sbs_op1

It might not be pretty but it should be better than nothing.

-Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for your advice, I been thinking and planning some ideas similar to what you mentioned. We use a type
    of filter on electrical panels, cooling fans in a textile factory, Belgotex. I am a Machinist there. I want to just get
    the specs on this filter material then I was advised to make the filter/housing about 3/4 bigger than the diameter
    of the fan, or inlet area. Its like a white industrial filter about 30mm thick but I can also split it to reduce flow
    restriction if needed. I am sure if the filter is about 3/4 bigger than the inlet area it should not reduce air flow
    too drastically. I can machine a filter housing from aluminium that I can fix to the outside of the housing over
    the the inlets maybe a rectangular shape so it can filter both inlets. Design something that can allow me to easily
    remove filter when needed.
    My only concern is making sure I don't overheat anything, I thought of running it without filter for and hour and
    check temperature. Could I just check outlet air temperature?? In the manual its runs at 10 - 35 degree ambient.
    If this is true or I have temperature after running for an hour then I can place filter and run an hour checking
    for any rise in temperature every so often. Also thought of airflow meter but don't have at work but do
    have bearing heat analyzers that can measure heat off bearing housings, maybe I can just test a certain
    spot on the laser for both tests.
    I don't have a permanent installation more for mobile use maybe once a month for now but I would like
    to take care of my equipment and keep it free from unwanted dust.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks again

Wow, I'm glad to hear your a Machinist! Sounds like you won't have any problem fabricating a filter. I would definitely do your ambient heat test as you described although an hour might be a long time, I would think it should be up to operating temps in 30 minutes. If it seems too hot you can always change the filter material to something less dense.

Good luck, keep us posted with pics please!

Jim