Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ether Dream DAC

Default Ether Dream DAC

I'm posting a new thread here (after the one in the Advanced Technical Discussion forum), since production units are in, the software is working, and I'm now ready to start selling these: my new, open, extensible DAC project.

- 96 MHz ARM processor, 512kB Flash memory, 64kB RAM
    - 100mbps Ethernet interface
    - USB slave interface for firmware upgrades
    - ILDA output:
    - 12-bit DAC for each of X, Y, I, R, G, B, U1, U2
    - TTL Shutter output
    - Controllable relay across interlock pins
    - microSD socket
    - Expansion headers:
    - Three six-pin headers for off-board DMX, MIDI, TTL, etc interface circuitry
    - One 12-pin header with high-speed serial I/O and extra microcontroller pins
    - 26-pin header with ILDA
    - Serial port and standard ARM JTAG debug header

There are a number of software features that are in the works and will be polished off soon - ILDA playback from SD card, on-chip geometric correction, an abstract generator, and some other miscellany. My main focus recently has been getting network streaming working well, but that's nowhere near all that this device is capable of. I've been working with drlava to build Ether Dream support into his software - LSX, ILD SOS, and anything using his multi-DAC interface library. The Ether Dream is now working well with the latest version of LSX. Additionally, there's an EzAudDac/EasyLase-compatible DLL that should work with any application supporting that API.

The price for the first batch is $275 per board, without case but fully assembled and tested. In the future I'll also be making available a kit with a case and power supply for something under $50, but that's taking a back seat to getting the first boards out the door.

As before, the firmware is open source and the board is designed to be an expandable platform - I'm excited to see what other people can do with this. All the expansion headers are on a 0.1" grid and it should be quite easy to make add-on modules for TEC control, DMX, MIDI, and plenty of things I haven't even thought of yet.

The order page is up here: http://ether-dream.com/
    Last edited by j4cbo; 10-22-2011 at 12:02.

Expect my order shortly!

What are the preferred software suites? Preferably FOSS as well

LSX is what I've been working with. Unfortunately, there isn't really much in the way of free/open-source show software that I know of (other than LaserBoy) - let me know if there's something I've missed...

Isnt LFI player open source?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

You're right, it is. I knew I had to be forgetting something... I haven't tested with that, but I will soon.

Thanks for doing this project I have ordered one for now, Always glad to support projects such as this and thanks for being open with it.

Update: Got mine today!
    Last edited by Picasso; 10-27-2011 at 23:34.

Update: I have cases and power supplies, and am just waiting on getting the cutouts for the connectors done at the machine shop. The full option including case and power supply should be available soon.

Cases will be ready next week...

Nice enclosures they are, need something similar for another project, where are they from?

Cheers

Andy

Let us know how well LFI works with your DAC