Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumia Projector Build

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

new guy buys the lattes.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Yeap, there aren't any dues - no meetings - you just begin to recognise the members - and really - the pennies were a nice touch.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    new guy buys the lattes.
    Well, at least there's no hazing. (Yet...)
    Pointers
    O-Like 532@100mW & 650@200mW
    Survival Laser 445@1.1W
    Projectors
    Homemade Variable RPM Lumia Box 405@500mW & 532@100mW & 650@200mW & 460@1.3W
    Kvant CM6000 with ScannerMAX 506 30-40k galvos - 637@1.3W & 532@1.8W & 445@3W + DMX Lumia Gratings
    Self-Repaired 532@500mW + Pangolin FB3, Chinese Galvos, Analog Modulation
    Tools & Software
    Radiator Laser Synthesizer
    LaserBee USB 2.5W thermopile meter
    Spaghetti, RIYA Multibus Lite
    Pangolin QuickShow, Beyond Advanced, integrated FB4

BUMPING this thread- LUMIA is nearly 100yrs old- and the new interest in it is great.
    I would like to hear more about using it and the MPE-- Could one build a LUMIA PJ that is eye safe? Crowd scans? and basically the same Q in regards to Diffraction gratings?

I will send these Qs to Greg and Patrick at ILDA- I meant to ask at the LSO course right after SELEM 2013--but forgot.. TY to all who share LUMIA passion and info- this forum rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    I would like to hear more about using it and the MPE-- Could one build a LUMIA PJ that is eye safe? Crowd scans? and basically the same Q in regards to Diffraction gratings?
    I've just completed my LSO training with LVR here in the UK and this was one of the questions that I asked.

James Stewart told me that with lumia you just measure the hotspots or otherwise keep the hotspots outside of the safe zone.
    [edit] Measuring hotspots of lumia could be a VERY time consuming job[/edit]

With diffraction grating effects, it depends on the type of grating.

With burst gratings there tends to be a zero order beam right in the centre of the beam which may have 70% (IIRC) of the initial beams energy. This beam can be kept away from the audience. The great thing with burst gratings is that once the zero order beam is above the audience, the weakest beams hit the closest people and get stronger further away.

Line gratings don't split the beam as much, so power will be higher than with burst gratings. They may also create hotter beams, away from the zero order beam, so you need to check a selection of the brightest spots.

Keith

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

instead of measuring the hot spots, wouldn't it be easier just to measure the raw beam at termination point with the effects wheel removed? there's no way any lumia hot spots will have higher power than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I've just completed my LSO training with LVR here in the UK and this was one of the questions that I asked.

James Stewart told me that with lumia you just measure the hotspots or otherwise keep the hotspots outside of the safe zone.
    [edit] Measuring hotspots of lumia could be a VERY time consuming job[/edit]

With diffraction grating effects, it depends on the type of grating.

With burst gratings there tends to be a zero order beam right in the centre of the beam which may have 70% (IIRC) of the initial beams energy. This beam can be kept away from the audience. The great thing with burst gratings is that once the zero order beam is above the audience, the weakest beams hit the closest people and get stronger further away.

Line gratings don't split the beam as much, so power will be higher than with burst gratings. They may also create hotter beams, away from the zero order beam, so you need to check a selection of the brightest spots.

Keith
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    instead of measuring the hot spots, wouldn't it be easier just to measure the raw beam at termination point with the effects wheel removed? there's no way any lumia hot spots will have higher power than that.
    That's far more sensible. The same as you would do for mirror ball effects (post mirror - stationery ball).

Thanks for the replies-

The one 320mW RGB 3D only projects thru several rotation gratings and as the RC has pause it will be very easy to LPM- I already know the hottest spot will be the center dot in some of the images as it is white and by far the brightest- Once i know that I believe if I have the distance to the nearest person and the time this white dot appears (except in pause) I think that may be all I need to see if the MPE is met.
    Considering the 7mm pupil size- and the fact that neither the spots nor the people are really static and the auto blink reflex this PJ may very well be safe-

BBL with some YTube links show this 3D PJ--

it blows any Bliss Light away--and the wireless RC is a very nice feature- you can make the Pj go to one color only or any combo of these three-has also sound response w/settings from 1 to 9- you can make it stay on any one of the EFX.-- it has DMX but NO Ilda- (NO dippy switches)

PM if you want one of these=--TY hak

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwaave View Post
    Well, at least there's no hazing. (Yet...)
    True. Can't afford a Hazer.... yet

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies-

The one 320mW RGB 3D only projects thru several rotation gratings and as the RC has pause it will be very easy to LPM- I already know the hottest spot will be the center dot in some of the images as it is white and by far the brightest- Once i know that I believe if I have the distance to the nearest person and the time this white dot appears (except in pause) I think that may be all I need to see if the MPE is met.
    Considering the 7mm pupil size- and the fact that neither the spots nor the people are really static and the auto blink reflex this PJ may very well be safe-

BBL with some YTube links show this 3D PJ--

it blows any Bliss Light away--and the wireless RC is a very nice feature- you can make the Pj go to one color only or any combo of these three-has also sound response w/settings from 1 to 9- you can make it stay on any one of the EFX.-- it has DMX but NO Ilda- (NO dippy switches)

PM if you want one of these=--TY hak
    UPDATE well I metered the bright white spot that we see in some of the patterns and it made 49mW so while I am not sure it looks like this may have too much power to be eyesafe.
    At least if you pause it and and someone stares at that spot directly from in front-I made a video about 2:30 long but the music was too loud so the sound part sucked- also the red barely showed up in my vid.Will keep trying and will link a better vid when it happens.