Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow i thought paypal was safe

Default Wow i thought paypal was safe

Some shit punk just broke in and made 2 500gbp transfers...paypal is trying to get the money from my bank account now, wich will definatly fail because i do not have that money now...i changed all passwords security questions but damn....this password is never stored somewhere....how the hell can the punks gained access?

But paypal blocked the transactions...i just hope that is before thepunks transferred their funds to their bank accounts. I hope i can resolve this soon with them because i do not want them shitting around that i have not payed 1000gbp yet to punks.
    With some luck atfer the transaction the money was frozen on their account.

I feel alot unsafer since today.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

I must admit I keep a separate Bank Account specially for Pay Pal and Ebay and at most times the balance is less than 50GBP. That reduces my exposure to a minimum.

If I want to buy anything above this, I do an interbank transfer form my main account of the required monies and then make payment once they've cleared.

Set up the facility where Paypal text messages your mobile telephone with a six digit code that is only valid for a few minutes each time you try to log in. This should stop your account from being hacked quite so easily.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem, i dont think we got that service in my country yet...at least cant find it.
    Well im nervous now and cant sleep. Im afraid they will take legal steps to get money from me that the punk transferred, and maybe the money is already gone and not frozen up..
    Il anyways call them tommorow...i have 3 anti virus apps on my pc and find it strange if it would be a key logger.

What sort of password were you using when this happened? Was it a dictionary word, did it have any numeric or punctuation characters? Did you use a mixture of upper and lower case characters?

I'm just trying to understand where the circumvention may have occurred, and therefore what the likelihood of this happening to others who use strong password schemes.

And lastly, what operating system do you use, what malware scanners do you run and how much do you know about secure computing practice?

I have macaffee avg and trojan remover(i think thats the name). Avg checks all the time maccaffee once in a while and trojan remover at every windows start and life just like avg.
    I do not have easy passwords imo. Numbers, letters, but im not going to say more about it.
    I have seven 64bit.

Can you get Rapport software in your country?

Many banks use it, it prevents key logging.

BTW Jem does it cost you to receive those messages ie are they from abroad?

My bank doesnt support it, nor does paypal? and is it then usable and is it free to use for casual people?
    Then i need it...i do not want a key logger and my bank account scammed.

SpaceJay is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

Borg did you use paypal recently? A bunch of years ago my ebay account was used to make purchases without my doing. What happened was that I clicked on the link I got from an official ebay email someone picked that up and whatever I typed they knew about. Luckily ebay and paypals staff picked up on that quickly and nothing bad happened to both my ebay and paypal accounts. They told me to change all the passwords and never click a link directly from your email account.

That was awhile ago though so maybe they secured that but the point is that there are other ways to get your information. You're going to be freaked out and violated for awhile but you'll be ok. These things do happen. I think you should have two checking accounts like what White-Light mentioned. The bank I have has online service and transfering from one to the other is pretty easy