Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: New EYEMAGIC Scanners EMS7000

Couple-quick comments:

a) It's all about 'context' .. 'Gigs' n yer bedroom / local pub / even small raves / edm-shows, etc, 'Ultimate Galvo Performance / Reliability' is not as 'critical', as, ie: the $25K Corp Gig in front of 50K people, ya? Would you 'Bank' such a show on 'clones'? I sure won't.. But, again.. 'what's the context'.. If you don't really 'need a Ferrari', then why complain about the price to buy one?

b) The EMS 7Ks do-seem to benefit (..as-do CTs, sometimes..) from a 'bit of a spank' on the tuning, vs expecting 'flawless-tuning, right out of the box' / there-forward.. Especially once they're 'good n' warmed'.. Also, with full-scan angle, too... I have also seen the 7Ks 'results improve' when either 'separating' / shielding the 'standard ribbon cable' connectors from each-other, or, using a 'flat' ferrite choke (like some medical-systems will use on I/O for signal-feedbacs > controls..) between them..

c) EMS 7ks are much 'younger' than any CT's, and.. probably most 'Chivos'.. It seems the 'fair course' to say 'let's see how they're doing in 2014' vs rushing-out and ordering 10-pair, 'just cuz they're new', etc.. ie: Even-if, for example, the 'Pangvos' were shipping now (..and I mean, the 'full-boat', scans + the 'ultimately-intended' amps, to be able to realize full-potential..) this Sea Dog would be waiting awhile to 'see how they schoon'.. Have often, in life, seen the wisdom / value of 'measure twice, cut once'...(..even-though the one-time I took a 'personality test', it told me I was "a skydiver"..

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-10-2013 at 09:12.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

though the one-time I took a 'personality test', it told me I was "a skydiver"..
    Never going to do that! I don't want to know and want even less the rest of humanity tapping into the cloud to know as well. But, we are truly on the same page here. Anyway,I was planning to contact Nutfield on Monday. They are located in my state, produce what I believe may be competitive scanners to the CT models and have been emailing me every so often about this or that upgrade with suggestions that they support the laser display market. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    ...I was planning to contact Nutfield on Monday... Any thoughts?
    Just checked out their site. Interesting stuff. Their galvos look like a cross between CTs and GSI:Lumonics. I think another pro grade galvo manufacturer pushing show type galvos would give the community more choices and possibly better prices. Fight that good fight! If you need extra people to write them to show interest, let us know. I am sure a few of us would participate. I don't have a show company but I would write them anyway if it would help.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

They are so close I might meet with them and discuss this. They might see this as an opportunity to get into a new market that as far as I know they haven't tapped. Their pricing could reflect this, at least initially. In addition, last year I invited CT to participate in a mini LEM @ MIT that Krazer hosted and they didn't express enough interest to send a representative. These guys might as it's just down the street. That is if Kraser thinks a repeat is worth the effort. My major interest in this general area of lasers is trying new and unusual approaches and working out side the box. So, this might be fun.

I would love to test a set of these. http://www.nutfieldtech.com/products/qs-5/
    The numbers look very good for show use.
    The rotor inertia is very closely matched with the EMS-7000 as is the torque constant. The only difference is the coil impedence is about half and the inductance is less by about 2/3. That should be a good thing. Just need to get some light show mirrors on them
    Last edited by absolom7691; 08-10-2013 at 15:37.

Yes, but I see a few issues that they need to address. The TQ constant is about 1/2 that of the CT6215 /A. But, to be fair the rotor inertia is also about 1/2. The small step settling time is 200us while in the 6215 it is 130us. And finally, they state the standard angular range is 22.5 degrees optical. What I need to do is give them the opportunity to compare this scanner with their obvious competitor and see if the arguments are plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    they state the standard angular range is 22.5 degrees optical.
    The PDF spec sheet looks like they have a wide configuration too. Both 48° and 68° but I imagine that would affect performace greatly. My knowledge here is extremely limited so I will leave you to it!

They do show "laser light show & projection" in their list of applications but today is the first I am hearing of them. Do keep us posted and maybe see if you can get a hint of pricing if possible. I imagine you will probably start a new thread if anything comes to fruition. I'll be looking for it. Thanks for checking this out!

Wow a new scanner option, This is great news if it performs well. Good to have options with CT exiting the laser display market.

I spoke with them today and they are interested. The price point is less than the CT, but based on our discussion it is probably close. However they claim that in side by side testing with the 6215 that they are FASTER.

I plan to head down there next week on my way to Boston. They were interested in giving me some time and I hope a Demo. I have been up front about my interest and depending on their reaction then the value of additional interest may or may not be useful ie. lower price etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Good to have options with CT exiting the laser display market.
    Now why would they do that..? Sorry if that subject's been done to death here already somewhere but I've watched the general activity for a while now and this is the first I heard of it.. If they are quitting it puts in doubt the wisdom of buying CT6215's if there's any danger that they won't be able or willing to support or replace if things go wrong.