Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: New EYEMAGIC Scanners EMS7000

just wait until tommorow and the events in greece will set themselves straight, or at least decide to remain permanently crooked

it feels a bit strange to see macroeconomic and sociopolitic analysis when getting a group buy for scanners together.
    you guys leave nothing to chance!!
    "its called character briggs..."

Hey All-

OK, had a few PM's regarding this system and pricing. I dont want to steer this thread off track or derail anyone form doing what they had planned to do. I just want to give a heads up...

1) For you USA customers, after customs, wire transfer fees and power supplies, you are looking at approximately $1500-$1600 for a set. DEFINITELY a good price for a scanner system of this quality.

One Stop Laser Shop is also selling these scanners, as am I. OSLS and I are selling these right now for about $1350 (power supplies are separate). In other words, you save all the BS wire fees, bank fees and/or customs fees.

I dont want to screw up any group buy buyers or plans, but i wanted to respond to the calls and PM's I have received. It was much easier to reposnd here than to 50 sep. emails, PM's and phone calls.

If there are any questions, PM me, call me, call OSLS, respond here or email me.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thumbs up EMS rock...

Yep.. we went nearly-all EMS a few years-back, and swear by 'em... Rock-solid, and we've banked $30k show-contracts on them... Ain't doin *that* on a pair of 'Chivos', no sirrie!..

The 'tales from the field' comments I would have, is that, CTs (in-particular, the 6215s) seem to be better for more 'buttery-smooth' graphics-werk, ie: http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._7285832_n.jpg

..but where the EMS-shine, is a) they just *never* up and 'shut-down' on you - sure, you can drive them too-hard, and yes, they'll go into 'hysterisical-spasms', but they won't 'blow' on you... just take the scan-speed/size down a bit, and they just keep kicking-butt... and b) when you *need* a HUGE angle / scaling, and/or, when you have that 'impossibly-complex' logo, that the Client just-won't let you 'simplify' any-further - you know the one - they actually seem to do a better-job than the CTs at holding the detail / sharper-corners, especially at larger-scales (101%+...) - Lastly, they're butt-kickers, speed-wise, when using the larger mirrors (>5-12mm)...

PS, any of you 'mobolazer'-owners, we have a nice proven-design worked-out for a turret-mount 'module', using the EMS 4Ks, in both an XY and XYB (retro-reflected blanking) version; inquire-within...

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    ...but the driver boards run very hot and must be cooled with a good fan.
    True, but we have seen just-fine 'fanless' results, by simply using a mondo heat-sink, with fins up in the air / mounting the back-plate to your base-plate - in other words, 'laying-down', |__ vs 'upright'... this is certainly-preferable for those with 'all on one-level' set-ups / where fans are less-desireable on the optical-deck..

ciao
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 05-02-2013 at 17:47. Reason: fixed bad linkky
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Marc,
    Do you have dimensional drawings, or better yet a step or iges of the system?

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Yep.. we went nearly-all EMS a few years-back, and swear by 'em... Rock-solid, and we've banked $30k show-contracts on them... Ain't doin *that* on a pair of 'Chivos', no sirrie!..

The 'tales from the field' comments I would have, is that, CTs (in-particular, the 6215s) seem to be better for more 'buttery-smooth' graphics-werk, ie: http://www.7mainstreet.com/imaging/b...931075-407.jpg

..but where the EMS-shine, is a) they just *never* up and 'shut-down' on you - sure, you can drive them too-hard, and yes, they'll go into 'hysterisical-spasms', but they won't 'blow' on you... just take the scan-speed/size down a bit, and they just keep kicking-butt... and b) when you *need* a HUGE angle / scaling, and/or, when you have that 'impossibly-complex' logo, that the Client just-won't let you 'simplify' any-further - you know the one - they actually seem to do a better-job than the CTs at holding the detail / sharper-corners, especially at larger-scales (101%+...) - Lastly, they're butt-kickers, speed-wise, when using the larger mirrors (>5-12mm)...

PS, any of you 'mobolazer'-owners, we have a nice proven-design worked-out for a turret-mount 'module', using the EMS 4Ks, in both an XY and XYB (retro-reflected blanking) version; inquire-within...

True, but we have seen just-fine 'fanless' results, by simply using a mondo heat-sink, with fins up in the air / mounting the back-plate to your base-plate - in other words, 'laying-down', |__ vs 'upright'... this is certainly-preferable for those with 'all on one-level' set-ups / where fans are less-desireable on the optical-deck..

ciao
    j
    Hey Jon!
    Thanks for your thoughts on these.

Myself and a few others are probably torn on which mirrors to get. The eternal "I want to do beams and graphics" question which comes up so often.

I'm about to order 2w 638, 2w 445 and 2w v-fold green from RGBLASERSYSTEM. The beams are between 3mm and 3.5mm and 1-1.2mRad.

I'm going to set this up for 5 watts balance at the aperture as that is the maximum CW power we can have in Western Australia.

I was doing some trig on how much of the a 3.5mm beam would spill off the 3.8mm mirrors at full +-30deg deflection.

I figured the worst case is the mirrors angle of incidence is 45deg-30deg giving 15deg. this would present only 2mm to an oncoming beam which works out to about 44% of the beam spilling. Have I worked this out properly?

If this is right it seems that the 3.8mm aperture mirrors are clearly designed for narrow scan angles predominantly doing graphics shows.

Dnar and I are teaming up and he is coming across a quiet a few offers for corporate work.

Say I went for the 5mm aperture mirrors which are obviously much better for wide angle beam shows am I going to be able to cover most graphics jobs with them to?

I was working out a hypothetical graphics projection field on the wall of a building. The specced 6deg at 60k for the 5mm aperture mirrors would give me around 5.3m (17.4ft)wide field at 50m (164ft). this doesn't sound to bad. If I needed to go a bit wider i could drop the scan speed a bit.

I know there is now such thing as a typical graphics show but in your experience what maximum scan angle to you generally see and what distance to projection surface should I consider?

Hey m8!

BTW, off topic, Jonathan (Platinum) and I did a DSLI Corp. gig at Nike up in OR, this past weekend / couple-days, and the lighting-guy at the gig was from Perth - Really great guy, and knew his *, cold... Anyhoo..

RE: Mirrors, yes, I think you'll be fine with the 5's - depends in-if you ever-have Clients with über-complex logos / mucho-detailio... Hard to 'call' all the time, but, I'd say, for 'most' Corp stuff, you will be able to get-by with the 5's.. Eric (planters) also posted some interesting testing he did with a non-orthagonal angle, and got a bit more 'aperture'...

RE: 'typical graphics show' - heh, the only 'generally' that I see, is that there are no 'typical graphics shows'.. But, really, many gigs we-do are fairly 'long-thro' (Outdoors), but, every now and then, we'll have some set-up, where we've got no choice but to be crammed-up, 20' (or less), from a 20' x 30' scrim, and, so we're blowing the scale out to 150%, or more, depending on the 'content' - often times, 'library graphics' were not originally drawn / traced / imported at a 'similar scale', so, even with the same 'master size / position', etc, there can be individual scenes / animes, that need to be 'independently scaled' from the rest of the show-graphics... some, need to go 'HUGE' to nicely-fill the scrim... so, this is where the EMS shine, especially with detailed-stuff...

...of course, 'minimizing flicker' is about a lot more than just scan-speed, etc, but that's another thread...

Anyhoo, I think you should be fine... what we do is have an 'interchangeable scan-head / amp-pack', so that we can 'swap' EMS-heads, for different shows, with the same basic-projector - one, with 3mms for 'fine-graphics' work, and one with 5 or 7mm mirs, for larger-beam / aerials werk... I know that's not 'practical' for your rig, there, but, perhaps, down the line, you could have an 'insertable pickoff', just-before your 3mm scan-set, to shoot your RGB-combo'd beam 'up' / out of a beam-port, thru the top of your rig, into a 'turret-mounted' 5-7mm (or 9, whatever..) scan-head, for aerials.... just a crazy idea...

cheers...
    j

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey m8!

BTW, off topic, Jonathan (Platinum) and I did a DSLI Corp. gig at Nike up in OR, this past weekend / couple-days, and the lighting-guy at the gig was from Perth - Really great guy, and knew his *, cold... Anyhoo..

RE: Mirrors, yes, I think you'll be fine with the 5's - depends in-if you ever-have Clients with über-complex logos / mucho-detailio... Hard to 'call' all the time, but, I'd say, for 'most' Corp stuff, you will be able to get-by with the 5's.. Eric (planters) also posted some interesting testing he did with a non-orthagonal angle, and got a bit more 'aperture'...

RE: 'typical graphics show' - heh, the only 'generally' that I see, is that there are no 'typical graphics shows'.. But, really, many gigs we-do are fairly 'long-thro' (Outdoors), but, every now and then, we'll have some set-up, where we've got no choice but to be crammed-up, 20' (or less), from a 20' x 30' scrim, and, so we're blowing the scale out to 150%, or more, depending on the 'content' - often times, 'library graphics' were not originally drawn / traced / imported at a 'similar scale', so, even with the same 'master size / position', etc, there can be individual scenes / animes, that need to be 'independently scaled' from the rest of the show-graphics... some, need to go 'HUGE' to nicely-fill the scrim... so, this is where the EMS shine, especially with detailed-stuff...

...of course, 'minimizing flicker' is about a lot more than just scan-speed, etc, but that's another thread...

Anyhoo, I think you should be fine... what we do is have an 'interchangeable scan-head / amp-pack', so that we can 'swap' EMS-heads, for different shows, with the same basic-projector - one, with 3mms for 'fine-graphics' work, and one with 5 or 7mm mirs, for larger-beam / aerials werk... I know that's not 'practical' for your rig, there, but, perhaps, down the line, you could have an 'insertable pickoff', just-before your 3mm scan-set, to shoot your RGB-combo'd beam 'up' / out of a beam-port, thru the top of your rig, into a 'turret-mounted' 5-7mm (or 9, whatever..) scan-head, for aerials.... just a crazy idea...

cheers...
    j
    Ah! great info Jon
    Regarding the"crazy idea" that crazy idea was already in my head Hmm don't encourage me

I'm trying to show some restraint here and make this one a simple build. oh mannnnnn......

(deep introspective conversation with myself).....Now focus...... breath deeply...The first projector I build will not have two sets of scanners in it.......

Ok I'm back

Wow dude from Perth! We tend to get around the globe a bit as we are so far away from everywhere we feel the urge to escape and visit where all the action is. Good to hear he is doing us proud!

Thanks again Jon for guiding us whipper snappers in the right direction.
    Kit

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    ...The first projector I build will not have two sets of scanners in it...
    Yes... but what-about 1 XY pair... and 1 interchangeable lumia-wheel / machita-position...

Wow dude from Perth! ...Good to hear he is doing us proud!
    Yeah, the guy was a riot - ie: He was up in a lift, adjusting a moving-head up in the grid, and calls-out to a stage-hand, who was watching him from the ground: "...ay, can ya grab me that roll of gaff, there, on my desk, mate? ...Yeah, the pink-one, roit theh..." To-which, as he's handing it to him, the stage-hand puzzledly-asks... '...uh, what's up with the pink?'.. To-which he says... "...Well.. would *you* steal it??" LMAO!! Lol...

Thanks again Jon for guiding us whipper snappers in the right direction.
    Hah! Nothin-doin, m8! This 'new gen' blows my (and many of the other 'old-timers', here...) mind, with the knowledge-base that is here?!... I can only imagine what PL will be like in 5... 10 years, tops... *No-doubt* discussing 'what weekend-adventures each-had in their homebrew 'Holodecks'!

cheers, Kit...
    j

I was doing some trig on how much of the a 3.5mm beam would spill off the 3.8mm mirrors at full +-30deg deflection.

I figured the worst case is the mirrors angle of incidence is 45deg-30deg giving 15deg. this would present only 2mm to an oncoming beam which works out to about 44% of the beam spilling. Have I worked this out properly?

If this is right it seems that the 3.8mm aperture mirrors are clearly designed for narrow scan angles predominantly doing graphics shows.
    Please disregard the above statement/questions. I had a brain freeze and calculated this maths with a 3.8mm wide mirror not 5.3mm wide mirror which the 3.8mm aperture mirrors have.

Also Tom pointed out that the mirror only has to defelect +-15deg to achieve a +-30deg scan of the beam.

Well that's my thing learnt for the day.

I did a motion study to visualise it for myself and here are some pics.

This is a 3.5mm beam on 3.8mm apertue 5.3mm wide mirror) showing 60deg scan angle.

Looks like I can have my cake and eat it to. Beams shows and graphics in the same projector!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.8mm aperture mirror 60deg close up.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	28495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.8mm aperture mirror 30deg.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	28496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.8mm aperture mirror 30deg close up.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	28497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.8mm aperture mirror 60deg.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	28498.

Is this an accurate representation of what is going on?

Tom said me a 3.8mm aperture is meaning there will be no spill on the beam at maximum deflection angle. So if your beam is <=3.8mm you can go for the smaller mirrors without problem!